Clutch/Tranny

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
K, so I got the solid flywheel and solid clutch in my truck, with the ZF5 trans (I beleave) I need to replace my tach sender, so I don't know exact RPM's yet, but it's LOUD at times. at an idle it makes a good racket, if you keep it in a gear and get the rev's up, the noise goes away and it sounds fine. Anything over 60km/h in 4th is fine, go below that and you really hear it..... aparently the wife does not like to yell to talk to me in the truck... so I got to do something!
It sounds like really amplyfied diesel rattle, with some gear noise bleanded in.

What are my options? I seem to get the idea that the DMF that were in them are getting hard to find... can I do something with the clutch to help? Or can I do something to the trans to help? It has fresh ATF in it right now filled to the fill plug.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
wwwabbit said:
K, so I got the solid flywheel and solid clutch in my truck, with the ZF5 trans (I beleave) I need to replace my tach sender, so I don't know exact RPM's yet, but it's LOUD at times. at an idle it makes a good racket, if you keep it in a gear and get the rev's up, the noise goes away and it sounds fine. Anything over 60km/h in 4th is fine, go below that and you really hear it..... aparently the wife does not like to yell to talk to me in the truck... so I got to do something!
It sounds like really amplyfied diesel rattle, with some gear noise bleanded in.

What are my options? I seem to get the idea that the DMF that were in them are getting hard to find... can I do something with the clutch to help? Or can I do something to the trans to help? It has fresh ATF in it right now filled to the fill plug.

GEAR ROLLOVER. :rolleyes:

Been there, When I had the DMF to SMF Lucky mod in the beef it was there as you described also. Mel and I have, well I was experimenting with different oil selections in the trans. :rolleyes:
The best mixture I had found at the time was 1 qt of 30W non detergent oil overfilled with 1qt of Lucas trans additive. I overfilled it thru the shifter on top. It was alot better than the ATF ;
fluid altho it didn't eliminate the noise, it was much quieter. ;Sweet
You'll get used to it over time as I was. Maybe even continue with the oil experiments. I had tried Royal Purple synthetic trans fluid and it didn't work very well either. The trick is finding the right viscosity fluid without not getting too thick as it will make shifting difficult. Keep in mind there may be some climate variables that will need to be taken into account for extreme temp differences. :mad:
What causes the noise is at lower rpms which the variations in the engine running transfer the vibrations of combustion thru the crankshaft then thru the trans, hence gear rollover. If your IP is in need of attention, this will also make the GR nose more prominent as you will be able to hear the defficiencies thru the trans.
Kinda concerning at first as I know what you are experiencing. Mel has done the Lucky Larue mod in Lady Moose as well and he enlightened me on these same issues I had with the Beef. All it took was a quick telephone call and a fireup on the ole gal to solve the noise problem in one quick call. ;Sweet
The higher rpms as the motor smooths out will make the GR dissappear, but at an idle or in a gear to high, it will be present. Not harming anything but just there. My wife had about the same issues, but Beef had a noisy trans to begin with which needed to be R& R'ed before had with 263,000 miles on it.

Good luck, hope this sheds some light on what yer experiencing.

Ron :D

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Sounds good. I knew I had some noise with it, but I didn't expect this much. If all goes well, I should end up doing the pump next Sat, so we will see how it all goes from there. I might try and play with some fluids too. I am quite lucky here on the west coast, we don't have much temp changes between summer and winter, and cold is not that cold here, it will only get down to freezing maybe 2 weeks a year.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add....its worth every penny to get the cab shifter boot cover assy. retails for $75 at the stealership. see the articles section for the P/N. Its two layer and the bottom boot really seals out the noise and heat. the top boot that you see is mainly for cosmetic.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Trying to get a factory shift boot from the the Stealer in B.C. might be a problem I already tried the salesman behind the counter laughed at me when I wanted one :Q

I have a Luk single mass in my truck and I do have the gear rollover it does make a good growl but it doesn't bother me. I don't have much of a shifter boot in my truck there is a aftermarket one on the stick but its not screwed to the floor it kind of sits over the hole in the transmission hump. I leave it open because in the winter I get some extra heat in the cab through the hole my heater doesn't work :D

I get the gear rollover noise in reverse and first gear but mainly reverse when I'am backing up the driveway at just above idle. At highway speeds I don't hear any noise I try to use OD most I can because of the 5:13s.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacific said:
Trying to get a factory shift boot from the the Stealer in B.C. might be a problem I already tried the salesman behind the counter laughed at me when I wanted one :Q

Ever tried walking into the stealership with a P/N? he may not be laughing when you give him a P/N. That is why I posted the P/N, offical ford description and the actual part description in the articles, so you CAN GET PAST THE GLAZED-OVER STARES. Of course, they may be giving you the brushoff due to past history too.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
They look up in the computer they know what you want it says not available or discontinued. They have got me some parts where they had to come from Ontario. Most parts for our old trucks are just not carried instock or even made like starters for our IDIs. When I was looking for brake pads they told me they don't have factory OEM pads anymore.

Ford dealers down in the US maybe have more parts in stock for older trucks I know the dealer in this area usually don't carry anything for trucks older than 95.

I never had any problems with the local Ford dealer there is only one dealer I only deal with them when there are no aftermarket parts available.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently running 2 gallons of streight 30wt. Oil in the Lady Moose. The noise is almost non-existant when cold, and then only moderate as it warms up. For some strange reason when hot, it almost stops all together. I've been told these ZF's change tolerances something fierce with temperature, which is probably why the noise varies so much. One fluid I'm considering is a Mineral Oil based 80wt. oil which is the oil the Gearvendors people recommend for their overdrive units. Those units used to run ATF, so if they are using this instead of ATF, it may work in the ZF. To buy it, you must go to a GM dealer, so wear a disguise like I do, and carry a newspaper to wrap it up in and tuck it under your arm. It's part number 1052271, which I have heard has changed, but they will cross it easily to the new number.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Hummmm... well then. Let me know how it goes with that 80wt mineral oil stuff. I am going to try some 30wt in there soon, see how things sound after the injection pump and such.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online