Clutch Recommendations

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
GO SMF.
I did this on both of my powerstrokes and they worked absolutly flawlessly. I cannot comment on which brand to use but i used a SOUTHBEND OFE in my 2000 and while it never slipped it sucked for jockeying a trailer around, it was either IN or OUT. Make sure if you buy a clutch you buy it according to your HP level

With a idi a stock Southbend,Luk,Valeo, Centerforce, Napa will all work just fine. Just make sure it is for a diesel. The gas pressure plated will not put enough clamping force on at the low RPMs these engines need

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
With a idi a stock Southbend,Luk,Valeo, Centerforce, Napa will all work just fine. Just make sure it is for a diesel. The gas pressure plated will not put enough clamping force on at the low RPMs these engines need

THis isn't always true. With that fancy clutch I got from Ft wayne clutch, the lining has so much more friction, that I'll bet the diaphram spring they used on the pressure plate was probably originally tuned to a gasser, but with that friction surface, you dont need so much spring pressure that it takes 2 men and a boy to push the clutch pedal down , and it never slips, I don't car how bad I'm abusing it with a trailer on and the stuff doesn't wear. I've seen another very popular clutch around here on my friends truck eat through a flywheel in about 50k miles and go to trash and the spring pressure is insane on the thing. My first 11" Kevlar clutch from Ft Wayne I pulled at 50k when my DMF folded and it was still like new( literally, I put a micrometer to the lining, zero wear ) and went into another truck

Just getting my trailers backed up into my yard is a torture test of any clutch, but I don't have any problems.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Anyone notice any significant difference in noise levels with the SMF as opposed to the DMF ??

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Anyone notice any significant difference in noise levels with the SMF as opposed to the DMF ??

As long as you upgrade to the 12 1/4" setup where the clutch disk has roughly twice as many springs in the middle as the 11" disk, you should notice very little, I have none whatsoever, but some folks with 11" SMF setups and lucky mods have some to a lot of noise. Condition of injectors and pump will have something to do with the big picture on the gear rollover noise bit as well

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a T19 SMF/pressure plate from a 1987 6.9 in my 92 460 to IDI conversion - the disc was part number CP31103A. 11" with springs and 10 spline input, 1.25". My other truck has the LUK 12.25" clutch and SMF - I bought it used with the ZF for $400. The ZF is in my truck and works great as does the used clutch - been in there 3 years now.

Have you ever figured out if the 460 zf has a different depth bellhousing? I just clicked on this gallery picture(it happened to be showing on top of the forum) and I haven't digested it all yet, but I still believe if you are going to use a SMF on a zf, you have to buy the special flywheel for it. In the gallery you can see how the t19 bell depth is more shallow than the zf, and if the 460 zf bell area is the same depth as the t19 bell, that would explain why you were able to use the factory smf during your conversion.

So can you use the factory t19 smf for a zf smf conversion? I am not convinced yet.

Here's the link to the gallery
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=157

Here's one of the pictures in the gallery.
vbpgimage.php

If I am reading this correctly, this is a t19 diesel flywheel on the left, and a DMF on the right.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

SMF is noisier than a DMF. No, the engineers didn't go to all that expense and trouble for nothing, they did it to reduce the noise and according to their calculations, the diesel could over torque and break the zf.

Is the noise intolerable? No, but it must have been for Ford. The smoothness of your idle has a large affect on the noise.

Has anyone broke their zf from the engine torque? I haven't heard many complaints, so I believe the zf must be stronger than they figured.

Most people are happy they did a SMF conversion.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I didn't check it yet but in my mind the depth is a mute point...The key is where the fork pivots, if they are both the same distance from the engine spacer than the rest won't matter. If the clutch M/C is in the same spot on both then it should be fine. As long as you have the depth for the release bearing to slide freely on the input shaft I can't see how it matters if it's a DMF or SMF.:dunno.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call Ft Wayne Clutch and get a 12 1/4" solid flywheel , a kevlar pilot bushing, and a rebuilt 100%kevlar lined hustler clutch , You will be VERY happy with that setup. That lining has much more friction do it doesn't require extra spring pressure so you don't wear your knee out to get a heavy duty clutch, good for me because i don't have any knees left, if it weren't for that clutch, I'd have had to put a slushbox in :puke:
THey match the parts up on those rebuilds that put out better clutches than any new ones I've ever bought. Heck, I'm half crippled, cant hardly walk yet these folks made me a clutch I can pull well over 18k with comfortably on a regular basis and never skip a beat, and never once get a sore leg :hail

I did this exact same upgrade: SMF, Fort Wayne kevlar clutch and upgraded kevlar pilot bearing. I have some rollover noise, which subsided a little by turning up the idle, but I really like the clutch. Easy pedal pressure and very smooth engagement.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I'm on the fence at this point between the Southbend and Ft. Wayne but I still have concerns about how obnoxious the roll over noise will be. It seems some members have more roll over noise then others whether using the Southbend or the Ft Wayne and there's no ryhme or reason as to why it's worse with some and not others.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got mine running yesterday. Used to have a stock DMF; was just starting to rattle only when you killed the engine. I did the Lucky Mod, used the AutoZone cheap-ass clutch kit. Filled the trans with 2 gallons of straight 30 wt. Keep in mind this was the first time this truck ran with a diesel in it instead of a gasser, but.......... The roll over noise was not noticeable, until I pushed in the clutch pedal. Then it was definitely noticeable. But it's nothing I can't tolerate.
Fact of life; IDI's are noisy and stinky - that's why I love 'em.
If you need something that is whisper quiet at idle, go buy a Prius.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online