Clutch pedal

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
In the future, don't bother with the bleeder valve. In my opinion, it's useless. Bleed the system by taking the slave cylinder off the transmission (but still connected to everything else), and cycle it very slowly a bunch of times and it will force all the air out the top of the system.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
State secret... time to share it with the group. I have a system that bleeds these clutch systems first time, every time. Works like this.

Go find a new [never had oil in it] old fashioned hand pump oil pump gun and about 3 ft of clear poly hose small enough to just fit over the bleed screw on the slave cylinder. [ I presume your master and slave are empty, the system having been drained when you removed either the slave or the master to replace them]

Remove the clutch master cylinder cap and set in on loosely [if you don't do this, you will squirt brake fluid all over the hood and engine compartment]. Fill the new oil pump can with clean brake fluid. push the clear poly line onto the spigot of the can, open the bleed screw and push the poly line over the end. Start pumping brake fluid from the bottom up to the master cylinder. Check the master cylinder frequently [or have a helper watch for fluid rising in the reservoir. When you have pumped enough fluid from the bottom to have it about 1/4 full, close the bleed screw, remove the poly hose, and fill the reservoir to full line [just pour some in].

Air wants to rise to the top, not be pushed down from the top, so that makes these systems VERY HARD to bleed. If you let nature work for you instead of against you by pushing fluid up from the bottom.. you are done in about 5 minutes.

I've used this system for more than 15 years, it's never failed.. first time, every time.

I'm now using it to bleed brakes, except I use a cheap electric fuel pump. Makes it a total one man job. Same principle.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, glad to. Sorry I don't have a picture of one I can post.
I use an old fashioned hand oil pump. It's like the big ones the old railroad people used only smaller. Holds about a pint of fluid and has a lever that you squeeze to pump oil up the long spout to squirt oil to what ever you want oiled. Of course, in my use, it's NEVER had oil in it, only brake fluid.

The one I like best has a nozzle on the end of the squirt tube that threads on. I unthread that and put my clear hose on there.
I like the metal ones best, they pump better and last longer. Check with you local auto parts store. NAPA has them, O'rileys has them. ACE hardware has them [usually].

Hope this helps.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember The Wizard of Oz, when the Tin Man could barely squeak out the words "oil can"? That's the thing....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got a second to pull one up for you.

This link should take you to what I have. Off the shelf at NAPA, stock item. Remove screw on nozzle tip slip on length of clear poly hose, fill with brake fluid and attach to bleed screw.. you're in business. One man brake bleed.. or clutch bleed.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_5751136_0361144025

Thats fine so long as you have an actual bleed screw not that silly allen key bleeder.

That ALLEN key bleeder makes attachment somewhat difficult as you describe.

JM2CW

Al

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the allen key screw and replace with a normal bleed screw. You can find a selection of them at the help isle at your friendly auto parts store for less than 5 bucks. Take the allen screw with you and match one up. you should be good to go.

Unless they have done something lately to the bleed screw threads and seat I don't know about.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remove the allen key screw and replace with a normal bleed screw. You can find a selection of them at the help isle at your friendly auto parts store for less than 5 bucks. Take the allen screw with you and match one up. you should be good to go.

Unless they have done something lately to the bleed screw threads and seat I don't know about.

That is the information that was missing and now it's complete. I've not had issues bleeding however this sounds really reasonable and simple to do. I figure this method would work quite well in my opinion!

JM2CW

Al

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance