Clutch pedal hit the floor: need help

1994IDI

Reaction score
I haven't investigated this because I have been rolling around in the snow, talking to ******** tow operators, and I'm pissed...anyway.
The truck is down. I was almost home when I hit the clutch pedal to downshift, and the clutch pedal hit the floor. It didn't just fall to the floor, it SNAPPED to the floor, and stayed there. I can pull it back up into place, but when I apply pressure it snaps down again.
I'm sure someone here can tell me what it is, and if not, I'll most likely figure it out when I go out to look at it in a bit, but its parked out in the snow (since I couldnt get it in the garage) so I figured if I can get one up on it, and save myself some time that would be great.
Thanks for any help guys.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Certainly check the connection between the actuator arm and the pushrod on the clutch master cyl.

Look up between the accel pedal and the brake.

The bushing gets wasted then the potmetal pushrod eye wears through.

When I got my truck the eye was completely worn through, with just a gnat's hair left holding it together...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
This happened to my truck once, it was the rod just came off, just get donw in the floor and follow the clutch pedal and linkages

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when mine did that it was cuz the plastic master cyl broke right where the line goes into it. if your somewhat close to home you might be able to limp it by synch shiftin it.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In many cases, the fluid level in the reservoir has been neglected.

Why the tow-truck ?? :dunno

I have hauled big goosenecks home from hundreds of miles away with a failed clutch; it's not as easy as with a functioning clutch, but not at all impossible. :)

1994IDI

Reaction score
Alright I've got fluid in the cylinder that's on the firewall. I have looked around for the actuating arm etc., but I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. There doesn't seem to be anything that goes out that cylinder? And I'm not sure what I'm looking for under the truck. Everything around the pedal assembly appears to be normal. I can post pictures if necessary.
What do you got guys? :dunno

1994IDI

Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER: I didn't end up getting a tow truck, I got a buddy to pull me home. I didn't know how to get it in gear without the clutch. How do you do that?

1994IDI

Reaction score
Alright, scratch all that, I found it.

This ring seems to keep the pedal linkage held through the pushrod to the master cylinder, and has failed. Anyone have a name for this so I can get a new one? I assume Ford is the best place to get one?

Attachments

• P1100027.jpg
    P1100027.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 11
  • P1100029.jpg
    P1100029.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
MIDNIGHT RIDER: I didn't end up getting a tow truck, I got a buddy to pull me home. I didn't know how to get it in gear without the clutch. How do you do that?

You must crank the truck in gear, then you shift by getting the engine at the right rpm, its a dying legacy

1994IDI

Reaction score
So you shut if off, the put in gear before you restart it?

Thanks for the help guys, any idea on that ring?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Thats actually the plastic clutch rod bushing right? its also supose to have some sort of pin that holds the rod on

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford has them or they did several years ago. After that the end will break off of the rod going to the master and they don't have that.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you shut if off, the put in gear before you restart it?

Thanks for the help guys, any idea on that ring?

That part is the clutch rod actuator bushing or something like that. Take it to Ford and show them they'll know...oh will they know and if not...they are too efn stupid to be a parts supplier!

Might want to ensure your clutch rod eye has not gone and ovalled or the clutch pin that that bushing goes on is not worn out either.

Yes you start the truck in 1st gear...and shift up and down matching revs to speed of vehicle. If you have not ever done it I don't suggest learning while the trucks not fully operational. A good way to practice this wonderful skill, is to use your clutch to start you off normally and go up through the gears and down without the clutch....practice practice practice....it's not all that easy.

Learn this skill/master;Sweet it and you can bout drive any standard anywhere anytime in any situation.I would suggest back roads, with little to no traffic to practice and learn till your comfortable you can do it anytime anywhere...hill starts are the most difficult:rotflmao

I have gotten to where I can go from a stopped engine, start in 1st to 4th and down to 1st without clutch...then a pop to N for stop and turn off truck. Start all over.:sly Lot's of practice I mean lots...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online