Cleaning injectors

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
This week I'm looking at pulling my injectors and cleaning them. I've got around 25k on WMO (W85 or whatever other oil I blend --no veggie oil). I'm experiencing hard starts in 90* weather with good glow plugs and plenty of smoke. My idle is rough until it warms up, etc., typical of coking. So I'm assuming it's about time to service them.

Has anyone cleaned the tips of their Ford IDI injectors? How did you do it, what did you use?

I know Acid has done this for his 4bt, but I'm not sure how he did it or if it would be the same process...

I'll post pics and videos throughout my process, just looking for some basic guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best search the topic, as the 2 resident guru's rarely mention this process.
Check alternate fuel section yet?
Good luck as I can't help none.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I messaged Gary, so we'll see what he has to say. I'll definitely have to document this job for future reference.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cummins injectors are very different from the IDI... but my problem was just a bit of coking on the injector tip. A few seconds with a small wire brush on each and popped them back in with fresh crush washers.

The combustion chamber on the cummins is in the piston head.. a little bit of coking on the injector nozzle causes fuel to spray outside of the combustion chamber causing smoke, loss of power, hard starts, etc...

Now.. A48WillyzGuy was having some issues with his 7.3 idi, but after a couple tanks of pump diesel mixed heavy with Howes cleaner and some hard runs... cleaned it up and made the truck run better then it ever had... Italian tune up ftw. Lol

-Chris

Last edited:

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
The Cummins injectors are very different from the IDI... but my problem was just a bit of coking on the injector tip. A few seconds with a small wire brush on each and popped them back in with fresh crush washers.

The combustion chamber on the cummins is in the piston head.. a little bit of coking on the injector nozzle causes fuel to spray outside of the combustion chamber causing smoke, loss of power, hard starts, etc...

Now.. A48WillyzGuy was having some issues with his 7.3 idi, but after a couple tanks of pump diesel mixed heavy with Howes cleaner and some hard runs... cleaned it up and made the truck run better then it ever had... Italian tune up ftw. Lol

-Chris

This is basically what I got back from Gary (icanfixall). Run some fuel conditioner through it...

Thanks for the input. I think I'll still pull them and see if there's anything I can do to clean the tips or the the pre-chambers with a pipe cleaner or a pistol brush. I'll video tape/take pics of the process for anyone in the future who needs it.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's how I do it:

Pop test injector to check spray pattern/pressure.

Disassemble and clean them individually in an ultrasonic cleaner. I've used gasser fuel treatment as a solvent.

Using gloves I'll pick up the pintle and use my fingernail and a shop towel to wipe up any carbon/deposits. If it's still gunky, back in the bath.

Then chase the fuel line threads and blow out injector body. If the pintle seat is really gunky, I use a brass punch (softer than steel) to ream out carbon from the hole.

Reassemble injector and pop test again.

NOTE: I have tried running an assembled injector in the ultrasonic cleaner, but it just doesn't get the proper solvent flow to get the gunk out. The buildup area isn't really accessible while the pintle is seated under spring pressure.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question.. But could you fill your pop tester with solvent or solvent mix?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I've never taken an injector apart. Is it easy enough with a little mechanical ability? Any special tools?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question.. But could you fill your pop tester with solvent or solvent mix?

Possibly, as long as it doesn't harm the rubber seals on the piston head of the pump. It would also need a high boiling point/autoignition temp.

I've never taken an injector apart. Is it easy enough with a little mechanical ability? Any special tools?

You can open one up without any special tools and normal shadetree mechanic knowledge, but seeing if cleaning it out did anything will be impossible without a pop tester. As our injectors age/wear, the spring exerts less and less pressure, allowing the injector to open earlier than it should. The only, ONLY !!!ONLY!!! way to guarantee a cleaned up/rebuilt injector is usable is to pop test it.

You can clean the carbon out and still have a leaker, poor spray pattern, or very low pop pressure.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Biodiesel works as great cleaner! So does brake cleaner.

I agree with BDCarrillo, The only way to guarantee a cleaned up/rebuilt injector is usable is to pop test it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle