CL deal....not sure how he got this one past the smog nazis........

Status
Not open for further replies.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[h=2]1986 ford bronco turbo diesel smog exempt - $3000 (russian river)[/h]
You must be registered for see images

For sale is a1986 ford bronco with a 6.9L turbo diesel. The truck has a dana 60 front end and a ford sterling 10.25 inch rear. The dana 60 has a lincon locker (welded spider gears) and the rear is posi.
About 120, 000 miles on the motor, installed and replace head gaskets at 70, 000 miles. New glow plugs.
One ton running gears with tow hitch. High steer conversion on dana 60
Vehicle is registered as a diesel...no smog.
Reason for selling: I dont need a third vehicle, just put a diesel in a jeep

$3000 firm, don't want to trade, first one with cash gets it.

Good- turbo diesel...good MPG
Dana 60 front end. One ton running gear.
Manual transmission. 4 speed 3.55 gears
Tires: 365/65 r16 (36"x12.5")
Front bumper has winch installed

Bad-cracked windshield
only fuel gauge works. Has gps as speedo

Eric
707-849-2395 text ok

Attachments

• 86broncodiesel1.jpg
    86broncodiesel1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 86broncodiesel2.jpg
    86broncodiesel2.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 20

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It can be done, but it takes time and effort. The DMV in CA is not interested in stories or explanations, just rules. But there are so many rules that you can do about anything you want if you are persistent as well as patient. I have thought of doing this very MOD if the right Bronco becomes available. Good to know it is possible.

sassyrel

Reaction score
WELDED FRONT SPIDERS????!!!!!! hes out of his mind!!!!! talk about a death trap in 4x4!!!!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
sassy - I was thinking the same thing. the only thing that's good for is off road. So first thing would be to rip the guts out the front pumpkin and start over if she was to see pavement.

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way its possible is to smog exempt it. They do something like 2000 vehicles or so per year. It is specifically for modified vehicles, my buddy did it to his jeep some years ago. Lots of money and paperwork, vehicle also has to be inspected.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad it's on the other side of the country, finding a Bronco that clean over here is tough, especially for that price with 1 tons and a diesel.

All you'd have to do is unlock 1 hub and it drives like an open diff. That's the nice thing about having locking hubs.

Reaction score
Worth it for CA folks if nothing else just for the hassle he's already dealt with getting it registered.

Mike

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The welded spider gears makes the 4x4 thing kind of useless, even with being able to unlock the hubs. At least an open has the ability to waste all your power on witch ever wheel has the least traction. I guess this guy planed on wheeling the truck and thats why he did that, but having all that weight over the front of the vehicle, its not the best choice to off road with.

Still cool and definitely worth the money. Just needs a windshield, gauge, and diff work.

Sw1tchfoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sassy - I was thinking the same thing. the only thing that's good for is off road. So first thing would be to rip the guts out the front pumpkin and start over if she was to see pavement.

It may only be good for off-road, but who uses 4x4 on California pavement? Unless you are worried about breaking something off-road any on-road problems should be non-existant.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The welded spider gears makes the 4x4 thing kind of useless, even with being able to unlock the hubs. At least an open has the ability to waste all your power on witch ever wheel has the least traction. I guess this guy planed on wheeling the truck and thats why he did that, but having all that weight over the front of the vehicle, its not the best choice to off road with.

Still cool and definitely worth the money. Just needs a windshield, gauge, and diff work.

I disagree. Plenty of people wheel welded fronts and rears with no issues. I drove a Sami that had both welded and never had an issue.

If you left 1 hub locked then it's still a step up from an open diff which gives the power to the wheels with the LEAST amount of traction.

Regardless changing spider gears isn't a big job so it's kind of a null point anyways.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Plenty of people wheel welded fronts and rears with no issues. I drove a Sami that had both welded and never had an issue.

If you left 1 hub locked then it's still a step up from an open diff which gives the power to the wheels with the LEAST amount of traction.

Regardless changing spider gears isn't a big job so it's kind of a null point anyways.

I meant in regards to on road 4x4 usage, say for like snow. Off road it is better then open, but not better then a selectable locker, or locker, that has the ability to unlock to benefit you in turns.

sassyrel

Reaction score
All you'd have to do is unlock 1 hub and it drives like an open diff. That's the nice thing about having locking hubs.[/QUOTE]

egggsplain your thinking here..........

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
egggsplain your thinking here..........

if you are asking you probably will not be able to get it ever unless you see it, but here goes...

So your diff is locked right? So when power is applied, each axle receives 50% power, no matter what. Your axles can not change speed from each other, so because of this, if attempting turns, a wheel will drag, or your axles will bind on themselves, or you will not turn at all.

That is normal operation. Well we all know, when a hub is unlocked, the axle that the hub has just unlocked, is no longer 'connected' to the tire. So now, because one side has no connection to the axle, while the other one does, full powered is applied to the side with the locked hub. Get it?

Having a welded spider gear front diff, with one hub unlocked, IMHO, is inferior to an open diff for on road 4x4 usage. I say this because an open rear, will transfer power side to side. Power is transferred more to the wheel that has no traction, but sometimes heating of the fluid causes a viscous coupling type reaction witch causes some power to be transferred to the wheel that has traction. Also, if both wheels have traction, both wheels receive power, vs only one wheel receiving power all the time with the other type of diff setup.

I did miss where the truck was a cali truck. Welding a front diff makes sense then, as the only time this thing would go into locked 4x4, would be off road, being east coast in a somewhat snow state, in my mind, the on road need for 4x4 came into play and I thought "man that was dumb" but like a knee jerk reaction to Micheal Vick's new dog, I did not think it through, so now it makes PERFECT sense.

Well worth the 3k, just for the diesel emissions on the Bronco.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last truck had a welded up D60 in the front and I DD'd it for close to 8 years like that and never had any complaints. If I needed 4x4 for snowy roads I would lock one hub in, but the truth is if you practice driving you really don't need 4x4. Get a good set of tires and put some weight in the back and you can drive around just fine in 2wd.

Benefit of a welded up front and locked rear axle was that I actually had 4x4 instead of 2wd (open front and rear) or 3wd (open front locked rear). When you locked the hubs you knew that all 4 wheels were going to pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.