chirping noice

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the classic belt chirp noise. Just started. It is kind of nasty-- real loud. Sometimes it goes away at higher rpm's sometimes not. Although not a believer in belt dressing, if I spray some in the aera of the belt tensioner I can quiet it every time. BUT within a couple of minutes the noise returns. Everything looks tight and square. Belt itself looks fairly new. Should I just drive until something breaks or take what action?
Thanks in advance,
Jim
PS remember this truck is very new to me (a couple of thousand miles)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
if it was me, I'd pop off the serpentine belt, spin all the accesories and idler/tensioners by hand.

alternators, idler pulleys can make some chirps if they are going out.
Never a bad idea when you have a serpentine belt to have an extra.... might try out the new one.

range ridin

Reaction score
serpentine chirping:eek:
check everything. last time my serpentine went to chirping i ignored it.
500 miles from home I rea;ized my mistake as the tentioner went south and took everthing with it. Thank God for a late night part store with tools:angel:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on the tensioner... Mines up to the same tricks now, after I installed a crappy NAPA tensioner.

I ordered a new tensioner and idler pulley, and a new serp belt from Ford today...

Ryan

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it was me, I'd pop off the serpentine belt, spin all the accesories and idler/tensioners by hand.

alternators, idler pulleys can make some chirps if they are going out.
Never a bad idea when you have a serpentine belt to have an extra.... might try out the new one.

This was great advice! BECAUSE... it forced me to get familiar with all the pulleys and the belt. I bought a serpentine belt tool -- didn't want to spend the money at first-- but a it makes a big difference in control of the tensioner to manipulate the belt. I bought a new belt at the local machine shop and they sold me a Dayco "poly cog" which is a cogged belt, $24.79. The old one I took off was not cogged. Upon close inspection it had numerous tiny cracks so it was on its way out. It can serve as an emergency spare.
BTW, all pulleys and the tensioner itself checked out OK and the truck is quiet with the new belt. :angel:

Jim

rubberfish

Reaction score
It can serve as an emergency spare.
Good idea. Keep it under the seat or
in your tool box. They rarely break at
a convenient time. Usually at night, miles
from nowhere, and to make matters worse,
when the wife and kids are with you too. :eek: ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members