Cheap oil line solution for ATS

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Well when i got my ATS kit used it did not come with an oil line :rolleyes:

But i did remember the block on top of the ats turbo has a 1/8 NPT port and so does the engine block

So I picked up a 24" long geese whip for $7.00 and a mail-female 1/8 NPT 90 for $2.00 and done!

so for $9.00 you have a simple oil line thats good for 3000 psi ;Really

might work with other turbos with an adapter.... also its the perfect length

You must be registered for see images

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
That is a pretty clever idea actually. It should work just fine I think, although the size bothers me.
I resorted to something similar when I first got my hypermax turbo kit. Someone had taken an old brake line and make it into an oil feed line. WAY too small for my likes and rusted out!
I could have gotten a steel line from hypermax for $50, but I needed something on the spot. Instead, I went to my local ranch supply store and picked up 3ft of 3/8" hydraulic hose for about $26. Pretty heavy duty stuff with a 6000psi burst pressure. Almost a year now and no issues so far. ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would just be worried about the line dry rotting or breaking down over time. Jeep used to have an external rubber line in the 60's for some of there overhead cam engines. they were known to blow and you can loose the motor.

granted if you keep an eye on it or check it if you are in there you should head off any problem like that.

nice cheap fix!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All non turbo blocks have the 1/8th inch oil ports. Only the turbo blocks have a 1/4 inch oil port. My Banks turbo has a 1/8th inch braided stainless steel line from the drivers side bellhousing up to the turbo. It gets plenty of oil up there. Changing the line to 1/4 inch will not change the flow because the block ports are still the limiting facter. The only way to increase the oil flow is to drill out the block ports to 1/4 inch or increase oil pressure. Increasing oil pressure to much will push oil thru the filter mount bypass port so dirty oil will be getting into the bearings. I can't say what pressure this bypass opens so the engine can get oil to the bearings. This is a factory design saftey thing because dirty oil is better than no oil. My 1937 Cord engine does not have an oil filter of any sort. What the Lycombing designers felt was a floating oil pickup would suck only the top clean oil in the pan...:eek: Not such a great idea because oil is used to lubricate and wash away any byproducts of an running engine so... That tiny metal or carbon gets sucked up before it drops to the pan bottom... Oh how things have changed....

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Nice let us know how well it works:thumbsup:

Lol. Well it's an old pic and took me a while to get around to posting it but I have been running it for 2 months now and it's works perfectly. I highly doubt it will rot out in the next 10 years. It is hydraulic hose ;)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is hydraulic hose ;)

Good man. That was what I was going to suggest. I will use a piece of hydraulic line to send oil to my remote mounted oil pressure sending unit and oil pressure saftey switch for the fuel pump on the crew cab. I have used a piece of hydraulic hose to supply oil to my turbo for the last 6 years. The Banks hose leaked like a siv from the 1st start up.

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I've used chunks of tractor hydraulic hose for bypass filter installations for folks who were on a real tight budget a number of times and the things last a very long time. Think about it, they are designed to handle hot oils in a hostile environment and flex at the same time. What usually ends up happening though in a stationary installation is that they become brittle over time, not to the poin tof bursting, but after around 120-140k miles they get rather stiff and that gets a bit uncomfortable, but for the price, just swap them out. Even after removing them I've taken and beat them on teh ground.. HARD and they've not snapped, but it was a proper precaution.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not leave it on there too long, engine oil is more damaging and it will cook shut over time, I like to run -6 line all the way.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Well im pretty sure if it was made for hot hydraulic oil at 3000 psi it will be fine with engine oil at 50 psi. It is made from synthetic rubber. Also so far my oil seals and gasket goop have held up to the engine oil so the oil cant be that damaging.

-6 line? whats that made of?
I thought -6 was reference to a JIC or AN fitting size :dunno

Side note... At work we have been running HOT (70c) bio diesel (which is much more destructible then dino oil) for years threw hydraulic hoses and they are still like new

Last edited:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
All non turbo blocks have the 1/8th inch oil ports. Only the turbo blocks have a 1/4 inch oil port. My Banks turbo has a 1/8th inch braided stainless steel line from the drivers side bellhousing up to the turbo. It gets plenty of oil up there. Changing the line to 1/4 inch will not change the flow because the block ports are still the limiting facter. The only way to increase the oil flow is to drill out the block ports to 1/4 inch or increase oil pressure...

I have heard that figure quite a few times about the N/A oil port size being only 1/8". Sadly, I have a handful of 3/8" brass fittings left over from my turbo install that say otherwise... But yes, I suppose you are right about the volume of oil.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have heard that figure quite a few times about the N/A oil port size being only 1/8". Sadly, I have a handful of 3/8" brass fittings left over from my turbo install that say otherwise... But yes, I suppose you are right about the volume of oil.

The garret turbo I have itself has a rather large pipe fitting , 1/4" npt I think, but the ATS kit has a rigid steel line with it that is only about 1/4" id possibly a little less. I had ditched the rigid steel line when I installed the thing and used a -6 aeroquip line there to feed mine, and later I tapped into that line to add a cooler

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-6 is the size, I use teflon hose, impervious to all but kinks. The hyd hose is fine, much better quality than the grease hose. that grease hose was most likely made off shore and is not good rubber. id is way small at the fitting.

I would use one in a pinch but not for the long haul. Just my 2c.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
-6 is the size, I use teflon hose, impervious to all but kinks. The hyd hose is fine, much better quality than the grease hose. that grease hose was most likely made off shore and is not good rubber. id is way small at the fitting.

I would use one in a pinch but not for the long haul. Just my 2c.

Oh ic what your saying

Maybe i was not clear enough The supplier of the grease hose makes them out of hydraulic hose. Thats why they are so cheap and can do a custom length if needed