cheap injection line socket.

baker1184

Reaction score
So i purchased a new injection pump a few months ago, i installed the pump without any problem and the truck runs great. But when i went to time it i was still about 1deg short of setting the proper time and not wanting to pull the injection pump to rearrange the hard lines its been that way sense. But with poor fuel millage has been bugging me, to do something about it so here is my tool i made from a $5 socket from tractor supply.

I know snapon makes similar sockets but 30 bucks was a little to much for me.

I have not tried it yet but will soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice tool, but you shouldn't have to loosen the lines to bump timing 1 degree

baker1184

Reaction score
It is a 5/8 socket look at the picture in the vise. Must of had the wrong tag.

Yes it is 1/2in drive.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice work on the bridgeport. Actually you do not need this tool for timing adjustment but. Any 5/8 combo wrench can loosen most of the easy to reach hard line nuts on the back of the injection pump. For the hard to reach bottom lines just loosen the line nuts at the injectors. Then the pump will move freely. BTW don't bother purchasing the Snapon 5/8 inch socket with the 3/8 drive. IT WILL NOT REACH THE BOTTOM NUTS....:mad::mad::mad:-cuss-cuss-cuss I got a great deal on one and had to grind till it was a useless socket and it still did not fit. The hex end is too damn short. If you choose to make another 5/8 line socket get a deep impact socket by 3/8 drive. Might try harbor freight or ebay for the socket too.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you actually tried to torque on this socket yet? I made one slowly using a grinder and it fit nicely but the moment you try to loosen the line it just spreads open and skips on the nut, going to try an impact socket next.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a couple 5/8 plug sockets to play with 3/8 drive..just for this...

Can you provide the large opening length dimension???

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you actually tried to torque on this socket yet? I made one slowly using a grinder and it fit nicely but the moment you try to loosen the line it just spreads open and skips on the nut, going to try an impact socket next.

I was wondering about that. an impact socket has a heavier wall and I believe is not as brittle (hard) so it might be a better candidate. If starting with a 6 point socket, I'm not sure if you'd be better to cut the groove through one of the flats or at a corner. Seems like on a flat would let the socket be stiffer maybe. :dunno

Might be interesting to try this.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is the one I made a while ago, ground out one of the flats and as much length I could for the line to fit but it's just too weak to work

baker1184

Reaction score
The socket was very hard, here are some more pictures.

I was able to get to the bottom injection lines but i did have to use it on a breaker bar and a piece of music wire to manipulate the socket.

baker1184

Reaction score

This is the one I made a while ago, ground out one of the flats and as much length I could for the line to fit but it's just too weak to work

I think the radius of the 3/4in end mill i used added a lot of strength to it, but you could still feel it opening up if you put to much tension on it. In the end it worked fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online