Cheap fix for GP relay?

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just establshed that my GP relay is bad.... I really dont want to spend the money to fix it considering that I plan on putting a cummins in this summer.... does anyone know if i can rebuild it to make it work till summer.... I know I can hook up a switch to it, but how many amp switch do i have to get...will an IDI relay work on my stroker?...cause im sure i can go scrounding at a yard to find one

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd have to look into it, but it might be just the same relay Ford uses for just about everything. That's what the GP relay on the IDIs are. Also from what I know, the relay can be replaced by itself, without replacing the whole controller.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardwire with a push button starter switch is about as cheap as you can get if your ditching the engine soon.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it the relay or the controller that's bad? They are seperate parts.

For temporary using a regular Ford starter solenoid and a pushbutton would be easy. Main wires in and out, base grounded, and switched hot to the small terminal to turn the relay on.

The IDI relay is similar to a starter relay, but not the same. The GP relay is grounded by one of the small terminals, where the starter solenoid is grounded through the base.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online