cheap alternative to dynomat?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's the stuff i used:
http://www.lobucrod.com/

because it's so thin though,i kept buying a roll here and there,and doubling it up.
one layer did an impressive job though,but when you notice things quite down considerably,you start to get addicted! :D
i dunno how it compares to other stuff personally,but the more i added to places that never had anything,the more and more quieter the truck became.i can hear someone sitting in the pass seat whisper at driving rpms/45-55 mph all easy now.the radio doesn't need to be turned up so high.it does pretty dang good in 2 layers.
i dunno how many rolls iv got in her now.like 4 or 5 of the 4' x 10's i guess.
i did everything i think now expect for the cab roof under the head liner.that'll be another roll.:D
he sells on ebay too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-X-10-EZ-C...=230751254672&ps=63&clkid=7705111107359532268

you can see how this compares to other stuffs ratings i guess?
Q: What are the sound deadening properties of the insulation?

A: Low-E has had this product tested for noise reduction using the ASTM E90-90 method. At 125 HZ the noise reduction is 23 DB. At 400 HZ the reduction is 42 DB.

Last edited:

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
good stuff! ive been researching this for my dually project (AKA Black Dynamite!). for Blue i used all secondskinaudio.com stuff. good stuff prices arent bad but not as good as this stuff. was hoping to find a cheaper alternative this time for a bigger truck. i had about $700 in the stuff for Blue. Im really liking the elemental designs e dead stuff for $1/sq ft. i imagine it compares very closely to Fatmats $139 for 100 sq ft with free shipping. so im tossed between those two. it depends on shiopping costs of the e dead. im also thinking im going to get the big roll of the lobucrod EZ cool to put over top the fatmat/e dead. that should REALLY dampen/deaden any stray road noise and keep the cummins noise at bay too. hell i may end up with two big rolls of the EZ Cool. but thats mee. the OP of the thread was on a tight budget so of whats been brought up i think his best bet is the EZ Cool stuff. but keep in mind they do different things. the EZ cool will block the airborn noises. the stick on mats will deaden the metal resonances such as when you shut the door and it goes KAWANGGGGGG!!!! man i hate that...

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
good stuff! ive been researching this for my dually project (AKA Black Dynamite!). for Blue i used all secondskinaudio.com stuff. good stuff prices arent bad but not as good as this stuff. was hoping to find a cheaper alternative this time for a bigger truck. i had about $700 in the stuff for Blue. Im really liking the elemental designs e dead stuff for $1/sq ft. i imagine it compares very closely to Fatmats $139 for 100 sq ft with free shipping. so im tossed between those two. it depends on shiopping costs of the e dead. im also thinking im going to get the big roll of the lobucrod EZ cool to put over top the fatmat/e dead. that should REALLY dampen/deaden any stray road noise and keep the cummins noise at bay too. hell i may end up with two big rolls of the EZ Cool. but thats mee. the OP of the thread was on a tight budget so of whats been brought up i think his best bet is the EZ Cool stuff. but keep in mind they do different things. the EZ cool will block the airborn noises. the stick on mats will deaden the metal resonances such as when you shut the door and it goes KAWANGGGGGG!!!! man i hate that...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I got a whole case of 4x4' x1"sheets of some industrial pipe insulation called Armaflex that I used in the floorboard of my truck that did WONDERS to cut the noise and exhaust temp creep ;Sweet I had this stuff left over from restoring my 5er, it insulates WAY better than fiberglass or other regular methods and the back ppart of the trailer I have that stuff in is nearly sound dead to the outside, it's some seriously dense stuff

It was fairly easy to lay down in the floor of my crew cab, and besides, you never know what youll find when you pull up the carpet... like I found the original build sheet from the factory for my truck buried under there ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I got a whole case of 4x4' x1"sheets of some industrial pipe insulation called Armaflex that I used in the floorboard of my truck that did WONDERS to cut the noise and exhaust temp creep ;Sweet I had this stuff left over from restoring my 5er, it insulates WAY better than fiberglass or other regular methods and the back ppart of the trailer I have that stuff in is nearly sound dead to the outside, it's some seriously dense stuff

It was fairly easy to lay down in the floor of my crew cab, and besides, you never know what youll find when you pull up the carpet... like I found the original build sheet from the factory for my truck buried under there ;Sweet

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used that roof repair material that is made up of aluminum with some kind of tar like synthetic stuff on one side, made to stick on leaky roofs and stuff. It will stick to clean surfaces and I have had no problems with it breaking down over time, hell it is made to go up on the roof, so inside your truck is nothing. It isn't tar either so it doesn't smell weird. Comes in rolls I think about 8" wide in the roofing dept at Home Depot etc... cheap too
JwS

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Armaflex is awesome stuff....there is no better drink coozie, plus its got a sticky side. Price can be a downside. I'm on the bandwagon with the waterproofing material from your local DIY store. I plan on doing that when I finally acquire some carpet for my truck.

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used lizard skin on the entire interior of my 88 monte carlo SS... IMHO its better then any peel and stick stuff just for sheer ease of use.

makes my 383 stroker true dual 28" glass packs sound like a honda civic with stock exhaust from inside.

Took about 3 hours to do 2 coats (+prep time)

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
i had looked at the lizard skin initaially too. seemed like pretty good stuff. might look at it again, kinda forgot about it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TORCH on roofing material.....heat the backside with a tiger torch...slap it on good clean surface...it's not coming off...nuff said

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140