charging system - times running out for the rally! HELP

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
There is a lot of talk that the dodge PCM goes out the alt wont charge,...but the fix is to do a Ford Regulator, Witch is what you HAVE!

still at a loss right now,..

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
yup those were some articles i used to do this in the first place. but im noticing something, in the one that uses the ford regulator he omits the "I" terminal. i am still using mine, hmmmm..... i know theres just some stupid detail im missing. but the other detail that has me thrown is why my charge light refuses to come on.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
yup those were some articles i used to do this in the first place. but im noticing something, in the one that uses the ford regulator he omits the "I" terminal. i am still using mine, hmmmm..... i know theres just some stupid detail im missing. but the other detail that has me thrown is why my charge light refuses to come on.

your right, It is one little item that is being missed, It may well be that "I" terminal,...? No idea on the charge light,...

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
gonna go try a few ideas, ill let you know. thanks alot for your help darrin.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i pulled off the output wire from the post on the alternator and no voltage whatsoever when its running. now how am i getting no voltage when autozone just said it put out 14.7 volts???????

Because when AZ test's it, they put battery (12.5) voltage to the Field terminal, that makes the alt put out full voltage, if it good.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok, i have found two ways to hook up this regulator. the first way is how i originally tried it. there are 4 terminals on the regulator: I,A,S,F. how ford has it intended to be is I is the 12v from the keyed on. this also has the charge light circuit. A is the output from the alternator. S and F are the fields. this way did not give me any output. 2nd way i found is: dont use I terminal, A is alternator output (same as other way), S gets the keyed on wire and F gets hooked to either field.

now these are very different ways to hook up the same regulator!! yet neither of them work!! as its looking im going to be bringing a few charged batteries and my battery charger and not running any lights or AC or anything on this trip...

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
nope... nothings freakin working. im giving up. maybe see if i can find an internally regulated one thats the same mounting style??

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
OK, just read this whole thread- something doesn't jibe... I'm gonna assume there's a good electrical ground through the alt case to engine block to frame. So, detach small wires from alt to regulater, make sure big positive wire from alt output to battery positive is connected. Locate field terminal on the alt (I don't know what alt you have, but I do know it has to have a field terminal)-and attach a piece of 10 or 12 ga. wire to it. Start the engine. touch the other end of the wire to the positive terminal of the battery. Alternator should now be putting out max amps/volts, if not then the Ford voltage regulator is bad, or you've wired something in the regulator plug to the wrong connection, or you have a (hidden) break in a wire. My money is on a bad straight-from-the-box regulator...

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ok wait a minute... im finding something thats confusing me. im reading some places that this regulator mod only works on 92-93 dodges? and that some alternators dont start charging til 2000 rpm? but i think those get wired up differently and dont use the ford regulator? oh im so confused... suddenly making a bracket/adapter to run a ford alternator doesnt seem so hard...

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Get a chevy 1 wire alt from a parts store like a 73 to 87 chevy should bolt right in

Only thing about the one-wire's is that they tend to undercharge sometimes because the sense wire is internally jumpered to the output. This causes the regulator to receive an overly optimistic voltage reading and not increase the field voltage by a sufficient amount to make the alternator bring the battery up to a full charge.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
seth how is your new truck set up? is it using a ford or the dodge alternator? this is not supposed to be this complicated. every single website writeup says how retardedly easy it is. which is probably why im not getting it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes