changed glow plugs - BIG time FIGHT!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I know this si for 6.2 engines, but we don't have a 5.7 forum and this is as close as it gets.

I changed a set of glow plugs in a Pontiac Perisienne tonight. 1983, 5.7 diesel. whoo..

7 plugs came out fairly well, a little squeaking and sticking, but I got them out without too much fuss. However, 3rd plug back on the passenger side....wow. I fought with it for 1/2 an hour before it let go.

The whole time, the car owner said it was just carbon.....I disagreed. I said "this plug is swelled, and I got to ease it out" He wanted me to just pull it out forcefully. I said no, we have to gently work it back and forth, turning it and loading the hole with PB blaster. After 30 minutes it came out.....SWELLED up BIG time.

I have a couple burnt plugs whick I will take pics of. One that burne out and came out, and the swelled up one. Wait until I upload pictures.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've owned more than my share of 5.7s and that seems about right. Plus I know from working on them, that the owners are usually hard headed about what they think is wrong. Tell them next time they can change them, and you will be more than happy to change the head gaskets (of which on those engines I could probably do in my sleep now).