changed fuel filter...no go

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
a couple weeks ago my fuel filter light came on while driving..the truck immediately started losing power. luckily i was close to home so i came home and the truck stalled in the driveway. i got a new fuel filter and changed it out.

i got the truck to start but it will not stay running. it will run for a minute or so and then quit. i have fuel at the schrader valve...

i know my IP is weak. i guess i'm looking for suggestions other than replace the IP, which i know i need to do anyway. i just blew a *** on a NEW starter and 2 NEW batteries..which i ran dead trying to start the pig today.

so to sum up...NEW starter, return lines, batteries, fuel filter, truck will start but not stay running.

also, in related news..i had my 4 wheeler for sale at the road, chained to a pole, the proceeds to go towards the rehab on this IDI. well some ******* cut the lock and stole my quad. -cuss:mad:-cuss:mad:-cuss

so i know i probably need an IP but fire away anyway.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
you have fuel at the schrader valve but how much is it enough I would lean more towards the lift pump then IP since your fuel filter light came on. plus its cheaper

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
starts and runs but when you let off it (return to idle) it dies right? When it's running is she running decent? no coughing, spitting or complaining?

If you are having a return to idle problem then I would be looking at the IP pump as in metering valve not working correctly = needs lubed or new pump...

If runs but complains about it - weak like it's staving for fuel, then I would be looking at lift pump...

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
also, in related news..i had my 4 wheeler for sale at the road, chained to a pole, the proceeds to go towards the rehab on this IDI. well some ******* cut the lock and stole my quad. -cuss:mad:-cuss:mad:-cuss

-cuss-cuss-;Pissed;Pissed;Pissed;
AH! stuff like that really boils my blood! Ive had **** like that happen to me, and man if i was around to catch the ******** in the act... :backoff:backoff ;Pissed;Pissed;Pissed;

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
69 oiler said:
also, in related news..i had my 4 wheeler for sale at the road, chained to a pole, the proceeds to go towards the rehab on this IDI. well some ******* cut the lock and stole my quad.

HOLY CHIT ROB! miserable ratbastidsumbiotch :backoff prolly sum vulcan crack head.....

On to your fuel issue....I coulda swore you had an electric fuel pump :confused:

Out of right field----is the shut down clicking/working?

Try a can of hair tonic directly in the filter....may help lube up the metering system like Travis mentioned.....

Fuel light is designed to indicate low press----not volume---correct?
What gives press....lift pump so you may just be on the right track....

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
hmm. that would be sweet if it was just the lift pump. before all this the truck acted up, running rough, like the timing was jumping around. i wonder if it was weak fuel pressure making the IP think it was running out of fuel...

story goes this truck sat for a couple years before i got it...it really ran like crap when i first got it but has gotten a lot better...to the point where i thought i could get away without replacing the IP.

I'll have to price out a new lift pump.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter light runs on vacuum, if you IP tries to pull more fuel than the can go through the filter (whether the filter is clogged or the lift pump is weak) it will create vacuum in the filter head thus tripping the switch and turning on the light. Is the filter light on when truck dies now? I'm suspecting a lift pump as well...

Edit: Rob, take a fuel jug and put it somewhere above the IP (air cleaner lid may be a good location, tho I prefer the cab roof as it is higher), then disconnect the IP feed line from the filter head, run a hose down from the fuel jug to the now-loose end of the steel line, siphon the hose so the fuel starts flowing and quickly hook up the hose to the steel line. Start truck up, she should not die no more as the gravity feed is now doing the job of the lift pump.

Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
On the quad, do you have any pics? Post a listing on Craigslist with a pic saying it was stolen and cash reward. Put it in the RV or Motorcycle section, someone may see it, or it may get on there for sale, you never know.

But I do know that That Sucks!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The quad can't be sold on the open market with the vin numbers so you may find it because someone has "seen it." Shootng the sob that took it isn't a bad enough thing... Maybe keeping them in a hole out in the woods for a few months will teach them a lesson. Then again some lead poisoning will do the trick too..:D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real sorry to hear about the Quad Rob. That sucks. As for the truck, how many tanks of fuel have you been through with it? I'm wondering if it would be worth your while to drop them and clean them out. Who knows how much water accumulated in there over the years. Since you just changed the filter, it sounds like that new one got contaminated pretty quick. I think water, more than dirt is the likely cause. Usually when that light comes on, it's too late. The IP is pulling in bad karma.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The quad can't be sold on the open market with the vin numbers so you may find it because someone has "seen it."

Ahhh, don't count on that, I don't know about that state, but in that BS state that you live in a thief can get away with all kinds of things. I was in CA over 30 years ago and had a motorcycle stolen made a police report , and about a month later I'm at a grocery store 2 miles from the house and see the thing parked in front of the door. I pull the registration out of my wallet and match it against the one on the bike and it matches ...aside from a few extra numbers that had been * hand engraved* after the end of the VIN, and some idiot had issued this crook a new title and a plate on a stolen vehicle with this garbage. I got on the pay phone ( remember them ??) across the lot and called the police and they REFUSED to send out a car and while I was arguing with this putz on the phone, the crook came out of the store and got on the thing, I ran across the lot and got in my truck and tried to follow , but it wasn't too many blocks before he made me ( a big green lifted Jeep pickup with a canoe strapped to the top, yeah, real inconspicuous, the clown surely recognized it from when he swiped the bike) once he did a double take in the rear view , he hit the throttle and was gone. I went to the police station with the new plate number and the dummied up VIN and they again refused to do ANYTHING about it!
( Don't even get me started on the cops that stole and stripped one of my cars out there At least that ring finally got busted after over 20 years)

I left that crap state a few years later and haven't looked back

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean about the cops in CA. I seen a guy shooting up one time and we are not talking about guns. Seen a cop 2 city blocks away and he said it was not his area then I told him where I come from the cops would have been all over the guy in a heartbeat.