Ceramic or metallic brake pads

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Just what it reads fellers...I am running stock rotors, and I am replacing the brake pads. Should I be using metallic compound or ceramic compound? The cost is within $5 of eachother.

What would you run and why?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
upside is that they will stop good.
downside is they need to "warm up" to really start working.
other downside is they eat the hell out of the rotors.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I think it depends on what kind of driving you do. I used to use normal metalic pads and I would notice if i was in alot of stop and go traffic, by the time I got to where I was going my brakes hardly worked anymore... I switched to heavy duty/high heat ceramic type pads and now no matter how hot they get they work. They also are a bit squeakier sometimes. They did last plenty long from what i can tell. I am still on the same pads from probably 60,000 miles ago. Not really sure how long pads are supposed to last though...

tknomaj

Reaction score
Ceramic they stop all the time do not eat rotors or overheat and Warp them. Plus they do not put dust all over the wheels. Only up side to Metalic is they are CHEAP.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have good service with fleet plus metallic.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I prefer ceramic, easier on the rotors IMHO...I have a few sets of near new front pads here from trucks junked in the past if money is tight Goof -freebie if you want a set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online