Centrifuge... how clean is "clean enough"?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Just got my PA Biodiesel 'fuge setup and running... first batch ran for ~10hrs, cleaning the centrifuge every 1-1.5 hours.

After the first hour or so, all I was getting in the rotor was a thin black film.. not slimy or anything.. soot perhaps?

What do you guys consider clean enough? Do you run it until you don't get any black in the rotor or just until you don't see any sludge/grit?

How may passes (hours) do you typically run (pressure driven units)?

Thanks guys
-Chris

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't really make "passes" with your pump. You can only set it and forget it.

I use a WVO Raw Power 'fuge that runs about 20 gallons an hour due to my small heater. I assume it gets out all the contaminates and I have had no problems.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... so just how clean does your oil get when you call it good? How much stuff is still collecting in the centrifuge?

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... so just how clean does your oil get when you call it good? How much stuff is still collecting in the centrifuge?

WVO Design advertises 2 micron, but I'm running mine much slower. I've never plugged a filter :)

Your 'fuge is much different then mine. My 'fuge is motor driven and gravity fed from my IBC. If I cleaned my oil a second time, I would probably only get a little more water out with only a trace of sludge.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run twin 55GPH units at 6 to 8 hours on a 50 Gal batch. I pump through my fuges from the mixing drum to the processing drum. Once the processor is full I clean the fuges and restart for the 6 to 8 hr run without stopping until I am finished for the night. When I finish I have 1/4" to 3/8" thick carbon /water sludge left over. I run close to 100% this past summer and fall. I changed all 8 GP's this morning, and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you get done running a batch... how does it look? Mine went in black and came out a translucent amber shade. Do you do any pre filtering?

I'm going to say that this batch was clean based on what I've been reading and so far, it seems to be doing ok. I ran my single 55gph fuge a combined total of 11ish hours after pre filtering down to 2 micron.

I'm in the process of building a shed just for fuel production to get it away from my house and shop... just incase something goes wrong. Better to lose a small building then a house, garage, cars, tools, etc..etc..etc..

Thanks for the input guys

Orpackrat

Reaction score
I run a RAW Power Centrifuge with WVO from an IBC tote, before it even gets to the IBC tote feeding the centrifuge, I separate the oil in another IBC tote and pump the amber colored WVO to the raised IBC tote to feed the centrifuge. It is already rather clean when it enters the centrifuge and I process it at 250* at about 8 gallons an hr to ensure its good and clean:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=524252394323583&l=6662435904730090575

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it all depends on the oil, the temperature of the oil, and how well you capture the output at shutdown IMO.

With WVO I filter 30 gallons for 3 hours and each hour I shut the CF off and catch the output. After that I clean a thick layer off the CF.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a RAW Power Centrifuge with WVO from an IBC tote, before it even gets to the IBC tote feeding the centrifuge, I separate the oil in another IBC tote and pump the amber colored WVO to the raised IBC tote to feed the centrifuge. It is already rather clean when it enters the centrifuge and I process it at 250* at about 8 gallons an hr to ensure its good and clean:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=524252394323583&l=6662435904730090575
interesting vid thanks

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...

Just got my PA Biodiesel 'fuge setup and running... first batch ran for ~10hrs, cleaning the centrifuge every 1-1.5 hours.

After the first hour or so, all I was getting in the rotor was a thin black film.. not slimy or anything.. soot perhaps?

What do you guys consider clean enough? Do you run it until you don't get any black in the rotor or just until you don't see any sludge/grit?

How may passes (hours) do you typically run (pressure driven units)?

Thanks guys
-Chris

I use to settle for 10-15 passes but now I've stepped it up to about 30 passes...with a 300 gallon tank, no bypass, and a 108 gph fuge, I consider every 3 hours as 1 full pass. My current batch has ran for 90 hours and I plan to spin it another 10 before I put it in the RV tank.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is the oil typically when it comes out of the last pass? Mine is still dark but translucent...

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine comes out slightly less dark than when it went in, usually I can see through it if I pour it slowly enough and look through the flow. As for putting it in a jar and being able to see through it like diesel or gas, forget about it.

Can you put yours in a jar and see through it?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No... if I pour a thin layer on a clear panel or pour in a thin stream, I can see through it then. Before it goes in... its black as coal... when it comes out.. its more of an amber then black.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0