cdr removal question

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi guys just wanted to ask you I was in the junkyard again today and decided I would take a CD R off of a 89 and I remember reading online that it was fairly easy to take off however this one that I took off actually had a clamp on the top of the hose below the CDR and made it a real pain to get off when the whole hose came off there was a plastic bottom that threaded into the motor I was basically taking this off just to get practice before I do mine are all of them like this or was this just something out of the ordinary the motor in the truck was a rebuilt unit however

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe OEM had a metal tube attached to the CDR and the rubber grommet to seal at the valley pan. The new version has a rubber tube/grommet as one piece replacing the metal tube. Take care not to let pieces of the old dried out grommet fall into the hole in the valley pan.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
The CDR vavle is held on by 2 bolts like IDIoit said, and a pain in @$$ clamp... I just cut it off when I took my old one out then had to get a new grommet because they are plastic and generally strip the ribs off the side when you pull them out. I just re-used the rubber hose because it was still good and used hose clamps to put it back on, much better then the factory clamps :) And yes, they are pretty much the same, yours will be the same as the one in the junk yard.

Last edited: