CDR Grommet

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me start off by saying PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME FOR ANOTHER CDR THREAD YOU GUYS!!!

So I have the Banks turbo, thus my CDR is mounted to the airbox, inverted from how it is at the factoury. I noticed that it doesn't actually touch the airbox though, as in there is a small gap between it and the mounting flange, where air can just flow in. I drip oil from said gap ALL over my driver's side valve cover. Now, seeing as I just got my custom restoration decal and don't want to ruin it (plus oil leaks, blergh) I was curious as to whether some sort of grommet should be between them to seal this gap? Moreover, since this is the clean side of the air filter, I can see this small gap potentially sucking in foreign contaminants to the turbo, big no-no.

So, can anybody visually confirm on their trucks/tell me if my CDR is missing a grommet/o-ring or something between it and the mounting flange?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is supposed to be a fairly fat quad ring seal there, a squared-off O-ring or a big gasket like in your garden hose but bigger, however you want to think of it. It's black.

You might get away with using an O-Ring, your local hardware store might have something that would fit. But it's supposed to be flat.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks drinky! Good to see you over here! Follow-up question would then be, do you know if a new CDR includes a new gasket? If it does, I'll just get a new one, since my diaphragm is in questionable shape anyhow.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O'Really is showing Fel-Pro 70800, which is a good old O-Ring. I had a quad seal. Dunno.

I believe the OD of the output pipe is 1" so it should be easy to find something that will fit if you can't get the above. Assuming the above is even correct!!! They only want a buck and a half for it, though, so it's probably worth a shot.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some OEM style seals left. they are square cut. and new valve doesn't come with .

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This requires the square cut o ring. Please clean this area very well and use RTV on the new o ring. Guarantee no more leaks.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure with the proper dimensions you could order Viton square cut o-rings from McMaster-Carr or Grainger. I have one sealing my intake hat to my intake manifold that works great, and I ordered by dimension. Mine is like 1/4" thick too and doesn't leak at all, even with pushing 15psi of boost by it. The CDR oring is under much less pressure and would surely be fine.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as Russ stated, it is a square cut o-ring, I also have a few of these. they are still available from ford, part # E3TZ-6A892-A, about $5.00 ea

Last edited: