CDR Delete ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope everyone had an excellent Xmas!
I am preparing my parts inventory to install my 088 ATS turbo. I removed cover on IP gear tower, drilled a hole in the center, and brazed on an elbow to use as a blowby outlet. I plan on running a 2 ft hose from gear tower to my custom air intake I have yet to fab up. My question is.....should I install CDR onto air intake pipe or can I just get away with welding a nipple onto tube and forget about the CDR :dunno?
FYI, I have been running stock CDR for as long as I have owned truck. A couple years ago, I did plumb a RDT into exhaust with horrible results. What a royal mess that was cookoo. After that fiasco, I bought a new CDR thinking that would eliminate my minor oil consumption issue. It did not.....which is why I am thinking about deleting CDR all together. Ended up using a treatment of auto-rx and that almost eliminated oil consumption.
Anyways, let me know what you guys think and what you would do. Thanks and Happy New Years to all!

Ian

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I wouldn't, guys that have often report excessive oil consumption afterwards and end up putting it back in.

There's also the line of thought that says that one of the CDR's function is to close in a runaway situation to cut off the oil/fuel supply from the crankcase. I don't know if that's accurate, but it is logical; until proven otherwise I think it's best left on if simply for that safety function alone.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't want to run a CDR or RDT, plumb in a catch can. Any air/water separator will work just fine. Some for compressed air have a self drain that will need to be plugged with silicone.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with my RDT to my exhaust. Although it's been under construction, I have driven it a bit, and it's a lot better

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did when I installed my turbo was a lot like your ideas. I came off the timing cover and built a little "can" about 2" dia. and 4" long, out of aluminum pipe. I filled that can with steel wool, and put some stainless screen with about 1/4" perforations on each end, to hopefully keep bits of steel wool from traveling into the intake. I then just ran a hose from the top of that can into the intake, post-filter but pre-turbo.

So far I'm happy with it. I consume very little oil. My theory is the steel wool in the can will knock down the bigger droplets of oil and allow them to drain back into the engine, while the airflow remains largely unobstructed.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It won't be difficult to fit CDR onto custom intake tube which is what I may end up doing...just to be on the safe side.
Brian, now that I think of it, the rubber hose i used to route blowby into exhaust may have been too small, which may have contributed to higher crankcase pressures and the other problems I was experiencing. Although I do remember me using the same diameter tube that the factory used to link CDR to valley pan. BTW.....cool project you got going on with your 87! Might have to make a trip to check out that rig when its complete :sly.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It won't be difficult to fit CDR onto custom intake tube which is what I may end up doing...just to be on the safe side.
Brian, now that I think of it, the rubber hose i used to route blowby into exhaust may have been too small, which may have contributed to higher crankcase pressures and the other problems I was experiencing. Although I do remember me using the same diameter tube that the factory used to link CDR to valley pan. BTW.....cool project you got going on with your 87! Might have to make a trip to check out that rig when its complete :sly.

Hay Ian! I barley recognized ya lol!

I'm using a 3/4" line, and a 1 way check valve. I've also welded the pipe the check valve screws on to, at 60 degrees from the exhaust flow to act like a Venturi to actually suck the crank case pressure out.
I had concerns that others also stated that it may suck oil through the exhaust and make it a nasty mess.
I haven't driven the truck a lot, so I don't have a definite answer.

Come by anytime! We'll after the 2nd anyways. Or you may find my unpleasant friend guarding my house with authority lol
I'll be back Friday, so if ya got some time this weekend, I'll be there working on it.
Sad part is that, it will prolly never be done lol too many irons in the fire. Lol

How did those Heads pan out for ya?
Know anyone out there in that area that has a 7.3T core forsale?

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brian,
Been looking for one ever since you posted about wanting one. Will definitely keep my eyes peeled and let you know if I find one. Yes, head off of the engine you gave me checked out ok to rebuild. All valves were good along with no cracks.....finally lol. Went ahead and had shop replace all guides just to be on the safe side. Thanks again ;Sweet. Got everything back together without any issues and truck runs like a totally different machine with that baby moose on it. Bought a used ats 088 turbo kit about a month ago and sent it to typ4 to get rebuilt. Should be getting it back sometime this week. That should keep me busy for a while.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a bull moose bad! But I'm not touching this engine anymore it runs great. But I do want to rebuild everything under the hood. Not for me, but for my kids! (Cough cough)
Glad I was able to help. It wasn't gonna help me any, weighing y down my yard, I have enough landscape weights lol

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would highly recommend any of Mel's products. You will not be disappointed. Keep us updated with that project!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828