"CDR" Advice

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Okay, I've got a bit of a problem... When I installed my turbo, I had to remove the "CDR" off the back of the intake. My driver's side valve cover has a hose that goes from it up to the turbo housing. Everything works great, but I've noticed that the truck is "losing" oil (not burning it, just "losing" it). I kept looking for oil leaks and didn't see any. I couldn't figure it out until I removed my air cleaner housing and found oil in by the turbine and the inside of the hose was soaked in oil:dunno. It appears that when I spool the turbo up, it's "sucking" the oil through the hose and out of the valve cover (Guess it'll keep the turbine lubed good:rotflmao). I talked to Towcat and he said the put a "CDR" from a 6.2 or 6.5 Chevy on it because that style connects by hose and I can place it between my valve cover and the turbo (I'll have to disguise the Chevy part on my FORD truck, or just hide it really good:D - Maybe paint a little oval on it or something:rotflmao). I called the parts store, and the can't find a "CDR" as a partcookoo. My question is, is there a different name for the part? Any advice is appreciated. I want to stop it from "sucking" the oil out of the engine.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• cdr pic.jpg
    cdr pic.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 11

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
hey ken-
you've been screwed since day 1 with any ford IDI.
AC/Delco has been the maker of the "official" ford P/N:eek:
check out this little monster......
http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/product_56_Crankcase_Depression_Regulator_Valve.html
the nipple in the centre of the can is the output.
the nipple in the side of the can is the input.

So that's what I'm looking for huh??? I'll call up NAPA tomorrow and see if they can get me one. If not, I'll order it from that site. Thanks Towcat! I was starting to think that if I keep running it this way I'd never have to worry about oil changes because it's getting a fresh quart about ever 4 days of "serious" driving. I'm getting a little braver with the rpm's now... 3,000 today;Sweet. Still got a ways to go to do the "bouncing" on the governor though:eek::hail. I need to figure out how which way to move the VRV to increase my shift points... Even under "full throttle" it shifts out of 2nd into 3rd at no higher than 2,500 rpms. I'd like to get the shift point under "full throttle" somewhere closer to 3,000 rpms. Anyone got any ideas? I guess move it one way and try it, if that doesn't work, go the other way with it.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ken-
sounds like the centrifugal governor on the transmission is sticking. the VRV is designed to work when the governor is not providing input. BTW....stop messing with the VRV before you break it.....they break as easily as the return line caps leak:eek:

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
Went to www.napaonline.com and found this http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPag...on=Positive+Crankcase+Ventilation+(PCV)+Valve for $45.99! Schuck's wants $81.99 for it, but will have to "meet and beat" the NAPA price. I was searching for a "CDR Valve" and couldn't find ANYTHING, but it popped right up as a "PVC Valve" and with a pic (again, thanks Towcat) I now know what I'm looking for. If the $45.99 is a good price and anybody needs one for their truck, let me know or go to your local NAPA store (I found out that they have most parts for these trucks in stock - at least around here).

OFF SUBJECT, but how how I hyperlink stuff?

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
sssssuuurrrrre.....
we'll let the jury run with that one in the morning;Sweet:D

Maybe I should just take a "plea agreement" now BEFORE the jury decides:rotflmao. Does the CDR have to be mounted in any specific position to work properly, or is it just an attach and go type of thing? I wonder if the inlet will fit right into the grommet on my valve cover and then hose from the CDR to the turbo, or am I better off to use hose from the valve cover to the CDR and then another piece of hose from there to the turbo?:dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should just take a "plea agreement" now BEFORE the jury decides:rotflmao. Does the CDR have to be mounted in any specific position to work properly, or is it just an attach and go type of thing? I wonder if the inlet will fit right into the grommet on my valve cover and then hose from the CDR to the turbo, or am I better off to use hose from the valve cover to the CDR and then another piece of hose from there to the turbo?:dunno
as long as the inlet is pointed downwards to allow oil drainback, you're doing good;Sweet

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
FWIW, That prolly isn't going to cure You oil problem. You'll spend the $70+ and still have oil in the intake of the turbo.

The only foolproof way to keep the oil out of the turbo is a RDT (Road Draft Tube)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Several things, the oil mist these engines create is what paints the aircleaner and turbo with that nice black color, the CDR on or off my engine makes absolutely no difference in the mess, just slows down the light vacuum from the turbine when working it,This is my opinion from testing, the system sucks, no pun.
If the governor was sticking in the trans you wouldnt have any drop back into low gear when rolling up to a stop sign, with 4.11 gears 2500 rpm full throttle shifts are about it, unless you mess with the kickdown, not recommended, adjust the modulator screw in 2 turns first and see if that helps.

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
If this isn't going to fix my problem, how do I do a RDT? I'm just trying to find a way to keep the turbo from "sucking" the oil out of the valve cover tube. If I run a hose from the valve cover to the underside of the truck for a RDT, what's the best way to "plug" the spot on the turbo that the current hose hooks up to. I called NAPA today and ordered the new CDR and it will be in tomorrow morning. h2ordx - I didn't notice your post until after I had already ordered the part. Depending on how I decide to do this "mod", I might take you up on the offer though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online