CB's

DBogo

Reaction score
whats a good cb i have been lookin at the cobra 29 i think it is and what is a decent size antenna that its frickin huge

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DBogo said:
whats a good cb i have been lookin at the cobra 29 i think it is and what is a decent size antenna that its frickin huge

I have a Galaxy DX-95T in my truck. 2 4' whip antennas--one on either side of the truck bed (only one is hooked up--not enough space for both--have a scanner hooked to the other antenna).

I love the CB. Probably more $$ than you want to spend... you might be interested in a less expensive radio from Galaxy.

Look in my garage to see pics of the antennas. I mounted the radio in a JC Whitney overhead console, which was then recovered with nice vinyl (that I subsequently stuck some bolts through to hold other accessories :idiot: )

Mike

Last edited:

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
We ran Cobra 29 Classics, exclusively, until recently. Seems the newer ones aren't as good as the old ones. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Several of the guys, including the boss, have gone to Galaxy 99's, and seem to like them better.

The boss buys Frances 4' fiberglass whips, to replace ALL the factory antennas. The exception is the huge open coil duals, on his personal rig. All he said was,"I told the guy to send me the best he could get, and this is what I got." Might be overkill, for a regular radio, but he also got a 350 watt linear. LOL

Our 4 Kenworths were ordered with factory 29 Classics, but we still changed to the Frances whips.

I've got an old Hy-Gain Hy-Range 3(or4?), at the shop, that I haven't used in 10 years. It was tweaked to the max, and would talk anywhere.

The best radio I ever had was an old Kraco Super DeLuxe. With a single bumper mount mid-load, I could talk 15 miles pretty easy.

rgdillon

Junior Newbie
Reaction score
My current CB is the Galaxy DX 979 - and I think it's the best I have ever owned. In addition it has what they call the Starlite backplate on it - glows blue at night so it's very easy to read.
Topped it off with a Wilson 3 foot antenna. Excellent range.

Ron

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i have a midland with a 200 watt black widow linear in my jeep and a 4 foot firestick antenna (way too small but anything bigger will get ripped off wheeling)... love it

don't key it up in the drive way, the tv's don't like it that much LOL
i can light up a 4 foot florecent tube from about 3 foot away
will reach out a long way!