CB mounting

DBogo

Reaction score
i just got my cobra 25 and from what i read you can mount it where the ashtray comes out how is this done and also what is the best thing to run the power wires too can someone help me out with this install

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Can't help you with the mounting issues cause I don't have your body style (hell I'm trying ot figure out where I'm going to mount mine this weekend myself.) Power ideally should be connected to the battery. If you have a 3-wire system, I believe one goes to the battery, one to a fused hot, and one to a ground. I'm proabbly going to connect mine to the battery with an inline fuse then ground it to a bolt under the dash, but I"m not sure yet.

I'm installing mine tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

Luck with it.

DBogo

Reaction score
ok the way i did it is you take the ash tray out and it requires a little modification but a cobra 25 or uniden PC66 will fit in there pretty well and i ran the power to the cig lighter wires seeing as how its not there anymore

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
RH is right...

You want to connect to the battery...

For running wire, you can go up under the dash and right by the steering column is an access port that you can run through... You can right along the fenderwell to the battery from there.

I mounted my Icom in about the same area that your talking about. It left enough room that I can open the ashtray still... makes a great penny holder since I'm not a smoker.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 7

DBogo

Reaction score
well its workin to the power supply to the cig lighter and its got a fuse in line so i dont got to worry about that

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I don't know if the CB is like a Ham radio but you get better reception and output by connecting through the battery..... It all depends on how far your talking... I know a Ham unit wired through the lighter will only get about 5 miles .... but connected to the battery I can talk up to 50 miles...

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
Dieselmaster said:
I don't know if the CB is like a Ham radio but you get better reception and output by connecting through the battery..... It all depends on how far your talking... I know a Ham unit wired through the lighter will only get about 5 miles .... but connected to the battery I can talk up to 50 miles...

a cb only puts out a max of 4 or 7 watts max. (regulated by the FCC), it won't have a problem with the cig lighter... now your ham, i'm suprised the dinky wires for the lighter would even support it, much less the fuse

i have a 200w linear booster on the cb in my jeep and i had to run some BIG wire to it and it has a huge fuse on it

.. i really want to get my ham ticket, but can't find the time to go and take the test

DBogo

Reaction score
heres the pics i told you i would get

Attachments

• 100_3912 (Medium).JPG
    100_3912 (Medium).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 100_3916 (Medium).JPG
    100_3916 (Medium).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads