Caterpillar 880 cca batterys junk in 1 year?!

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I sprang for genuine Caterpillar batteries p/n 230636x last July (2009) after reading on this forum that there IS a difference... $115.00 each - no big deal, well... Sure enough, once or twice during the summer when the truck sat for a week or so it sounded like it was cranking a little slow. Now that it is cooler in Chicago, I've had to jump it three times already after sitting only 1 or 2 days. Gave them a trickle charge for 8 hours on Wed, the truck sat Thu, Fri they are dead.
No parasitic draws, Alternator tests good, Cables are self-made awesome. Anyone else have an old IDI that eats batteries?? This is my second new set in 5 years. Thanks! --Andy PS I saw some 830 cca batteries at Sams Club for 80 each that I think I might try next.

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Well, I sprang for genuine Caterpillar batteries p/n 230636x last July (2009) after reading on this forum that there IS a difference... $115.00 each - no big deal, well... Sure enough, once or twice during the summer when the truck sat for a week or so it sounded like it was cranking a little slow. Now that it is cooler in Chicago, I've had to jump it three times already after sitting only 1 or 2 days. Gave them a trickle charge for 8 hours on Wed, the truck sat Thu, Fri they are dead.
No parasitic draws, Alternator tests good, Cables are self-made awesome. Anyone else have an old IDI that eats batteries?? This is my second new set in 5 years. Thanks! --Andy PS I saw some 830 cca batteries at Sams Club for 80 each that I think I might try next.

remove the hot cable off of the alt--and let set till morning,after you charge the batts...then check the next mrng...still up???,,and disconnect one of the hots,,as you may have one bad batt--then get back to us--

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far so good with my 880 CAT's. They are warrentied, but I can't remember the length at the moment. I'll look it up and post back.

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The CAT website says to call your dealer for Warranty info. I'd bet you' re up for a new set of free batteries.

Heath

Last edited: