Carrier Lift Pump Mounting Assistance

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am preparing to make the transition to hydroboost brakes, and will most likely go the route of replacing the mechanical vacuum pump with an electrical one from a later model Super Duty.

I have seen posts in the past on various topics that happen to include under-the-hood photos, some of which show the electric lift pump mounted down next to the alternator. Seems that this would be a great place to mount the lift pump and avoid using the valuable real estate on top of the inner wheel cover and removing the mechanical vacuum pump seems to make this possible. Does anyone know of any articles that indicate how to go about mounting the lift pump in this location? If not, would anyone that has mounted their lift pump in this location be willing to assist with information so that I don't end up having to reinvent the wheel and prevent bone-head mistakes? Any photos would be a major bonus.

Would appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Many thanks,
Robert

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i mounted mine down here but iv got the '93 which has the serpentine belt and the oem location of the vacuum pump is up in the center.
removed the vac pump as well though latter on.do do that,you need a shorter belt and a vac pump to run your HVAC.i used Dorman #904-214.feed it switched power and it will run and turn off as it needs.

Robt.Webster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Since I have the V-belt arrangement, it sounds as though removing the vacuum pump will free up the necessary area.

Would you happen to have any information and/or pictures of how you went about it and the configuration of the mounting bracket that you used?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Reaction score
I've seen many folks mount theirs to brackets that they custom make that hang off the fuel filter assembly using the assembly's mounting hardware. On mine, I bolted it to a support bracket coming off the passenger battery tray. Had to remove the battery to do it, but all it took was a drill and some nuts and bolts. Been working just fine.

Mike

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
really depends on the type of lift pump.
if youre running a vein pump, they are designed to push, not pull.
and should be mounted as close to the fuel tanks as possible.
if you have a diaphragm pump, please continue.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I assume you have a serpentine belt system on your engine. If so how are you planning to run a belt past the no longer there vacuum pulley? If this is the plan then you will need a shorter belt. I feel the vacuum pumps driven bay the belts will last longer than an electrical vacuum pump.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So it has a V belt... Well figuring it was a 92 was telling me it had to be serpentine. But we all know any idi can be either type belt drive... So just removing the vacuum pump will not cause belt issues and it frees up more room to see the timing tab at the damper.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used 3/4 angle iron (painted grey) bolted to the passenger side battery tray, and bolted to the core support. Pump is mounted on engine bay side.
Works great.