carrier bearing replacement

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah- that pretty much looks like what I had to do to change mine. But, I could not get the puller behind the bearing to pull it off. I actually cut off the bearing housing with a cut off wheel in my die grinder. Then I split the inner race by carefully cutting through it most of the way with the cut off wheel in the die grinder. Don't go so far as to cut into the shaft. Once mostly cut through, you should be able to split the race. This is a rather crude method. A hydraulic shop press would be the easiest way to get the bearing off the shaft. Make sure you mark all your shafts and yokes before you take anything apart. You want to be sure everything gets re-installed in its orginal position and orientation. By the way, I installed a carrier bearing with a polyurethane cushion rather than rubber, so maybe I will never have to do this job again (knock on wood)! Here is a link to where I purchased it if you are interested. Good Luck! http://www.iedls.com/Center-Support-Bearings/Our-Difference.asp

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Ive never had any that came apart that easy but yep thats the general idea normally I have to use the press to get them apart though.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a cut-off/wizzwheel to carefully remove the old bearing.
And use a small hunk of fencepost to tap the new one back on...the 'fence post diameter' is the SAME SIZE as the bearings 'inner-race'.
My 'carrier bearing' is DIRECTIONAL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online