Can't think IDI right now need some help

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well folks I have found if you work on the newer trucks IDIs can confuse you when you have to work on them again. My truck is acting up on me and I'm so used to all the newer junk I can't think IDI right now. What is happening is that at idle it sounds like a Powerstroke all the time. I took the advance wire off and it still rattles. If I give a little throttle the rattle goes away somewhat. I'm thinking my injectors are all getting weak causing my timing to retard to a point that it's igniting it too soon. I haven't heard the dreaded Chuff yet but am keeping my ears open. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Well folks I have found if you work on the newer trucks IDIs can confuse you when you have to work on them again. My truck is acting up on me and I'm so used to all the newer junk I can't think IDI right now. What is happening is that at idle it sounds like a Powerstroke all the time. I took the advance wire off and it still rattles. If I give a little throttle the rattle goes away somewhat. I'm thinking my injectors are all getting weak causing my timing to advance to a point that it's igniting it too soon. I haven't heard the dreaded Chuff yet but am keeping my ears open. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

fixed it fer ya. worn injectors will pop off earlier meaning the timing is advanced. did it happen all of a sudden or did it just eventually do it? are tou running any addatives?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to use Diesel Kleen every other fill up. With the cost of fuel right now I'm spending a fortune driving the truck every day. It just happened all of a sudden one day it was fine the next it was acting up.

tractorman86

Reaction score
i wonder if you have something wrong inside the IP. i would bet the advance mechinism is stuck in the advance posision

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering my luck lately it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the pump is the issue. I need to get my crew cab running so the old girl can take a rest either that or get my bronco down here form ohio and drive that while the workhorse is down. With fuel being under 2 dollars a gallon I can afford to feed the 429 while the diesels are being fixed.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Make sure your return lines are clear, my tank selector valve stopped working right and blocked the return part way, which restricted the flow, in turn made it seem like the cold advance was on extra heavy.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never thought of that. I try taking it loose from my tank selector and up at the pump and put some light air pressure and see what happens. Then I'll see if it will blow freely back into the tank through the selector unit.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay update on the old horse. Saturday morning I checked the timing with my lumy probe. That was part of the problem. It was running at 1*BTDC. I backed it back to 3*ATDC and it got rid of almost all the noise it had and was running absolutely excellent. Well at 3PM today it showed other problem finally. When I pulled out of the parts store it started CHUFFING out the exhaust. Needless to say my day was pretty much shot. I'll be putting the crewcab on the road sooner than I thought now so I have something to drive while I fix the 4X4. I will be doing head studs when it goes back together. Thankfully nothing else needs major work like when I put it together the first time. When I put the used engine together the first time I replaced all the main bearing and rod bearings also I changed the oil pan, all the seals also. this time it should only need head gaskets, studs, whatever the valve issue takes to fix, Valve cover gaskets and some silicone to finish the job.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.k., I am new to some of this stuff, what the hell is this dreaded chuff you were worried about in your first post and now in the last post you said it started chuffing.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.k., I am new to some of this stuff, what the hell is this dreaded chuff you were worried about in your first post and now in the last post you said it started chuffing.

Once you hear the dreaded CHUFF you will know what it is. Your truck literally goes chuff,chuff,chuff,chuff,chuff. I lost an exhaust valve as it is making the noise out the exhaust pipe. I priced all my parts tonight and as soon as we get payed for the latest removal I'll be ordering a set of studs from Summit. I can get a whole head set for 113 bucks minus the intake manifold gasket. By the way Agnem can I reuse the intake gasket if I use some aviation sealer on both sides. I really hate to throw away a 70 dollar gasket after one use.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.k. Now that I know if I ever hear the dreaded chuff, I'll throw a match in the damn thing, lord knows this truck already nickles and dimes me to death!

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to give my truck some credit though. I work it hard. Sunday afternoon it was pulling trees over all day long and then dragging them out of the way.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way Agnem can I reuse the intake gasket if I use some aviation sealer on both sides. I really hate to throw away a 70 dollar gasket after one use.

That's probably a better question to ask somebody who's actually done that. ;p

Two issues come to mind.

1) will you be able to get it off without mangling it?
2) The fiber on the intake runners will already be compressed. Not sure if it will seal without help.

:dunno

I hate to spend $70 on a tank of fuel, but that probably lasts less time then your gasket rental.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online