cant get lines bled..

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i recently switched out my ip and im trying to bleed the lines.. ive tried and tried and nothing. the fuel shut off clicks in the ip so i know its working.. ive cracked the lines, etc and nothing in the front lines. anything im missing? i have an electric fuel pump as well.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take off the fuel filter and crank, if you get flow from there then I'd say the IP might be what is wrong. Either that or your fuel filter was empty and hasn't primed yet.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just checked i have plenty of fuel at filter head and no air coming out of schrader valve.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Did you open the line nuts at the injectors enough to let the air out? If you just crack them a quarter turn, the metal is still sealed tight, you have to give them a few good spins till you can wiggle the lines, then they are loose enough to be able to bleed off the IP . once you do thet, then crank it with someone watching ans when fuel appears at a few lines shut it off, tighteen those down, crank again till fuel appears at more, shut down tighten those, crank again till fuel appears at some more ( or it fires up) You get the picture. With the lines properly loosened, the fuel should squirt out around the nut pretty hard.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after i took the filter off (was full of fuel) and drained some of it out i cracked the lines again and some fuel came out, so im charging battery before i try the others. i cant say i enjoy the bleeding lines. i DID find a crow foot wrench set at orielly yesterday though, which will make the next pump easier. maybe i just wasnt patient enough with the bleeding, or there was something weird with the fuel filter.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
why did you drain some out? that cannot help... although since you have an electric lift pump, it should not hurt too much.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I found on mine that I cracked them all loose, and then tightened them while still cranking and fuel was moving. Then let it rest, and do the next one. After 4 or so were tight, it wanted to start. Once that happened, fuel came fast to the others, then when I snugged the 5 and 6th lines to make fuel, it started, just snugged the other two and it still ******* and moaned a little until the remaining air was gone. I was getting aggravated though as I would crank until fuel showed, stop cranking and tighten the line down only to seemingly trap air in there again. So once you move fuel, keep cranking the engine (having someone help here is a good idea) and tighten that line. Don't take forever getting it tightened, just snug it and stop cranking, let the starter cool, then move on. I'd have the charger on the whole time too!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timeto do this. Remove the small wire on the left fender well from the starter solenoid. Now jump that with anything to the hot side so now you can watch the hard lines for fuel. While holding the throttle wide open crank the motor. If all the lines are tight and it wont start just crack the lines loose and listen for air escapeing from the lines. It will sound like a cat hissing and maybe you will see some air bubbles in the fuel escapeing too. Crank again but wait at least 2 minutes between cranking sessions. Otherwise the starter will burn up. It will start... It has no choice but to surrender to your will...:sly

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im just gonna put old pump back on. the pump was full of fuel so i know it was getting there. i dont know why it wasnt getting fuel to the line. its weird.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
are you sure the pump isnt way out of time?

are you getting smoke out the tail pipe while cranking?

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pump went back on same way it came off. no smoke on crank, it was like it wasnt even getting to the lines.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you do not pre-fill your fuel filter before you put it on you're trying to move the complete volume of the filter worth of air through your fuel system. In my case that's close to a liter (I use custom CAT 2 micron fuel filters). Always prefill your fuel filter. I carry a 1 liter bottle full of diesel just for this purpose in my over the road kit...

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
this is the same problrm ive been having with my truck, im gona try her again when i get home just to see if i made sure, but then again i was the only one working on it next time ill have a helper to be on the look out for fuel

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the feeling nobody noticed he has an electric fuel pump, and that his filter is full, and that he has fuel at the schrader...

If you've read the fuel injection servicing article in the tech section, then you have already validated that your getting fuel out of the injector lines. If your not seeing it, disconnect the IP fuel return at the top of the pump, and run your electric fuel pump until fuel appears there. Note that the engine must be cold, and the cold idle solenoid must be in the extended position indicating that your cold idle advance circuit is operational.

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got the pump switched back to original one and it started for a second which is futher than i got with other one, im letting the batteries charge back up and letting starter cool before i go back and try it again. the other one i had fuel everywhere but the lines. i guess the fss could of been stuck? or just bad pump overall?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online