Can the average Joe clean/rebuild IDI injectors?

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the schematics of the IDI injectors somewhere online an I'm fairly confident that I can rebuild mine myself. Just curious what everyone else's thoughts and experiences are?!?! My injectors have low miles on them as far as I know. My dad said they were new right before the old motor blew up. I know a guy who instructs diesel mechanics at a college and he said that they all looked new, but 3 test bad (they pop too early, just squirt fuel and are causing white smoke). He said that they may just be dirty and with some runtime in the truck, along with some ATF and/or cleaner that they may clear up.

SOOOO.....
1. Should I just throw them back in and run the guts out of them?
2. Should I take them apart and clean them first?
3. Can I the slightly above average Joe (rebuild engines, trannies, carbs, etc...) rebuild a few of these with a combo of parts from some spare (also bad) IDI injectors from a different motor???

Also does anyone know what the injector bodies are torques to if I were to take one apart? I mean just the actual injectors themselves, NOT what they torque in the motor at. Thanks!

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can...it is easy...go here and check it... http://www.thedieselstop.com/contents/getitems.php3?6.9L Injectors tells you all with pics on how to do it...

BTW...Cleaning & Rebuilding is down further on the page, but read the whole thing...Also, I use an ultrasonic cleaner. If you have one or get one...use diesel fuel as the liquid in the cleaner. I also use a soft bristle toothbrush in conjunction with the ultrasonic cleaner.

The hard part is finding or making shims if needed to bring the pop pressure up to specs....

Hope this helps...

Last edited: