Can a newbie get a little help

ERnurse

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum and also the Ford diesels. Im trying to swap my '86 6.9 IDI with a '92 7.3 IDI. I read up on the subject before going to get my motor and was comfortable that I could get it done. My only issues are the differences in the wiring harness. Also the newer motor does not have the vacuum lines on the side of the injector pump. Should I pull all the small electrical parts from my 6.9 and install them on the 7.3 and then switch the wiring harness or is there a way to eliminate the 2 extra wires on the 7.3 and wire it directly to the trucks plug? I was under the impression from what I read that this was basically a direct replacement except for the flywheel possibly. I hope I didn't just waste my money. Only reason I didn't replace with another 6.9 was availability locally and I read that it was basically a direct swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....Thanks, Andy

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics of this item will help
Is it an auto.. Vrv valve( shifts the vac modulator) if so you need it'2screwsall ip's have 2 wires on top, the vrv has 2 vac lines and bolts on the end of the throttle shaft.
Hit the stickies and ask more questions, fill in your sig line as much info as possible ( helps us id your ride.)
You must be registered for see images attach

The vrv goes onto the rusty t looking gizmo under the white wire tag.

Last edited:

ERnurse

Reaction score
Yes it is an auto (c-6). My truck is an 86 f350 2wd. The injector pump on the 7.3 looks like the one pictured above. The IP on the old motor has 2 vac lines attached to a black plastic piece. Can I just plug off the lines that came into the old ip?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the vrv... Its held on by like 2 1/4-20 bolts, read the stickie as to how to adjust the shift point or it will give you greif!
Without it you got no shifting.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you keep the IP that's on the 7.3.
You need to take the VRV (Vacuum Regulator Valve) also the actuating dowel off the 6.9 and put them on the 7.3 IP. You should still have the vacuum lines already there. The 7.3 IP has a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) which you won't need with a C6 tranny. The 7.3 IP has a tab on the IP to drive the TPS, the 6.9 IP has a dowel pin to drive the VRV.
The TPS connector for the 7.3 you won't need.
The two wires on either IP still has to be there.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not without 4 hail marys, 1 our father, and then do the truffle shuffle.

if youre not catholic, the truffle shuffle will suffice.

ERnurse

Reaction score
Thank you thank you thank you. My truck doesn't have a tach. Would it be beneficiary to add one. What is the small squarish black plastic box right behind the intake opening at the back of the motor. My 6.9 doesn't have that it has an upright round piece with wires coming out the top. Is this for the glow plugs. On the 7.3 there is a plug where that would be.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YUP that's a glow plug controller, the solid state kind.

It's a hell'va job to add a Tach, lots of wiring you don't have. Ask @IDIoit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. You absolutely need that vacuum switch on the injection pump and the drive tab it connects to on the throttle shaft. Be careful removing and installing it too. They have to be set or "clocked" correctly or no shifting. Also cre in removing the vacuum hoses from vacuum switch. Those are very hard to purchase these days. Do not mix up the 2 hoses either. Mix them and the trans is not going to work. Take a cell phone pic or apply some tape with marks so you remember what goes where. The 7.3 solid state glow plug controller is the best money can buy so fit it into what your 6.9 harness was. The 6.9 glow plugs are a spade connector where the 7.3 id the bullit connectors

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YUP that's a glow plug controller, the solid state kind.

It's a hell'va job to add a Tach, lots of wiring you don't have. Ask @IDIoit.

actually the VDO tach is right on point.
super easy to do and program.
I posted a thread about it, let me see if my drunk 10.25 can find it.

ERnurse

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. Would it just be easier to remove the ip from my old motor and then re-time it or would it involve re-setting the output also. This engine is just a little more complicated than the LDT 465 in my 71 deuce military truck lol.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
knowing very little about the automatic trans side of these trucks,
I would put the 6.9 IP on your 7.3

the IP's are the same so it should be interchangeable somehow.

your 7.3 has the tach sensor housing, its a 2 wire pick up.
adding a tach from here is not hard.
here is a thread about installing an aftermarket tach

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?76123-Aftermarket-VDO-Tachometer&highlight=vdo+tach

its a little vague, but if you buy the tach, and read the directions, it can be done.
all needed values are included.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you decide to exchange the 6.9 pump to the 7.3 engine be sure you DO NOT.. Remove the pump, housing and gear as one piece. From your own words you feel this is the easier way of changing the VRV. Actually it is not but it is your choice to do so. Many u tube vids have been made showing the "easy way" of taking the 4 bolts out of the injection pump gear housing and lifting off the complete mess. Doing that usually makes for a difficult gear timing match up when you attempt to install all these parts as one. These engines are gear driven. the crank gear. The cam gear and finally the injection pump gear. Sadly the cam gear is way below eye site so getting the cam & injection pump gear correctly gear timed is nearly impossible. The members of this forum have in the past helped others with this gear timing issue but its very difficult. On the cam gear is 2 completely different timing marks. The DOT times to the crank gear and the Y times to the injection pump gear. Here are some pics on my engine showing all this with the water pump block cover removed.

Attachments

• DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    580 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00239.jpg
    DSC00239.jpg
    502.9 KB · Views: 6

ERnurse

Reaction score
Yeah think I will swap the vrv onto the 7.3. My only other issue I have is trying to figure out what to do with the extra 2 wires the 7.3 wiring harness has 10 vs 8 on the 6.9. I would like to just wire the plug from the 6.9 to the harness on the 7.3. Is it possible to do this?