Can a C6 operate without the vacuum pump?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
got a 6.9/C6 off my friend that runs sweet. thinking of putting it in the '73 1310 frame i have and throwing my '52 IH cab on it for a lowered dually rat rod..... ;Sweet butttt it's manual brakes and steering and i plan on just running a 1 wire GM alt. is there anyway to convert a C6 to cable kick down? or will a SD vacuum pump poll enough to let the trans shift? :confused::dunno

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual valve body or an electric vacuum pump. Not the little super duty one.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a reverse manual valve body in mine, beats the hell out of the faulty OEM auto VB.
Will the lack of vacuum hurt the C-6? NO Will it hurt your feelings to drive it shifting it all the time?
I leave mine in 3rd gear all day long even when I come to a complete stop. As long as I dont need to
hurry to keep up with traffic I leave it in third at a full stop.

Javier

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they make a cable control to replace the modulator . used them on perkins powered tugs all the time. dont know who made them but sure wish I had one now for my next project.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the engine has no accessory brackets? You'll need alternator brackets to mount an alternator, so go to a salvage yard and get alternator & vacuum pump brackets. Seems like the easiest fix to me.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I wonder what a Ford Power Products dealer could tell me about such a set-up. I'll have to stop in at the one near me and ask questions.

they make a cable control to replace the modulator . used them on perkins powered tugs all the time. dont know who made them but sure wish I had one now for my next project.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vaccum pumps are so prone to failure I'd rather not waste money on one. Ideally I'd like just an 1 wire alternator.

While I can't say that I've never seen a vacuum pump fail, I never thought of them as failure prone. Anyway, if it's not a daily driver and you don't mind manually shifting it, I would use a manual valve body as others have suggested. They're relatively easy to install.

If you don't want to manually shift it, install a small 12v. vacuum pump and a reservoir tank to hold a little volume. You will still need to have a functioning VRV.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
the MVB sounds cool, never really heard of one. like a stick without the clutch. my friend has a ratchet shifter he'll give me too.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So with a Manual Valve Body, you can do away with the Vacuum Modulator as well as the VRV? I have been wanting to go with a MVB for a while since I always shift it manually anyways, so getting rid of the vacuum stuff is just a bonus! That and a TCI Maximizer Diesel Torque Converter has been on my to do list for a while,...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726