Camshaft blanks for the 6.9/7.3

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
there is a guy on fte that just joined and bought a truck with a custom turbo and intercooler setup it also has a tweaked pump, its got a c6 trans and on normal accelaration it dont shift it self till about 3000 and if he floors it it will go past 4000 rpm right now his max boost is 5 psi with like 8-900 egts he supose to be turning the pump up,

Myself i have been wanting to have a high winding idi cause im not afraid of them, yea i know im crazy:sly

The Europeans have had high rpm IDI style motors for years, we are just now catching up. The Benz motors get taken up to 6000 plus all the time, on stock bottom ends no less.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just call a cam grinder compane like erson or competition cams and pick their brains. I believe both can custom grind to applications/ specs and probably have some great ideas towards getting more out of the cam. A problem you have is the rpm limit which also has to do with the injection pump. The international buses use the same cam as our fords but the pump has an internal governor. Funny thing about turbos though is that they like stock to mild agreesive cams better than a full race type cam. Greatest cam gains seem to be a little more intake duration. Of course more lift is not an option in our engines.

Just a heads up to the folks on the site. Comp cams as it was is gone. They went bankrupt and were bought by a company that makes motorcycle parts. I'm not really impressed with them after dealing with them recently.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did that "1200 hp idi" have a custom cam? If not, how did it make so much power besides the twin turbo?

And I wonder how many rmps it hit...

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had a reground cam and was also running a p-pump. I'm looking at the article in the magazine right now

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up to the folks on the site. Comp cams as it was is gone. They went bankrupt and were bought by a company that makes motorcycle parts. I'm not really impressed with them after dealing with them recently.

No that was Crane Cams that went bye bye

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I got my names switch though I believe Comp is in trouble also. I knew one was gone and being remarketed and the other was in trouble.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our pistons don't have any recess cut in the tops for valves. What you may be seeing is part of the Richardo cut for combustion only. These piston tops are around .560 to 580. thick. They usually stick up out of the block 31 thousands and the heads are flat. The head gaskets are around 75 thousands thick. So the squish area is 44 thousands thick. The valves are sunk into the heads. Intake is 0.042 to 0.054 and the exhaust is 0.051 to 0.063. The minimum head thickness measured from the valve cover rail to the bottom of the head is 4.795 and the max thickness is 4.805. I have found all my new offshore heads are 4.805.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Our pistons don't have any recess cut in the tops for valves. What you may be seeing is part of the Richardo cut for combustion only. These piston tops are around .560 to 580. thick. They usually stick up out of the block 31 thousands and the heads are flat. The head gaskets are around 75 thousands thick. So the squish area is 44 thousands thick. The valves are sunk into the heads. Intake is 0.042 to 0.054 and the exhaust is 0.051 to 0.063. The minimum head thickness measured from the valve cover rail to the bottom of the head is 4.795 and the max thickness is 4.805. I have found all my new offshore heads are 4.805.

Do you have or know someone that might have the cam specs for this motor? Maybe there should be a sticky that describes the heads in complete detail with flow numbers and the camshaft specs. We talk about it enough, we need details.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The minimum head thickness measured from the valve cover rail to the bottom of the head is 4.795 and the max thickness is 4.805. I have found all my new offshore heads are 4.805.

;Sweet

Now all we have to do is get them to start casting complete engine blocks like they did for the 6.2/6.5

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Cam specs are this from my Navistar shop manual... Top of ramp Intake opens 17.2 degrees BTDC and closes 42.8 degrees ABDC... Exhaust opens at 51.2 degrees BBDC and closes at 20.8 degrees ATDC. The intake lift is 0.2535 and the exhaust liftis 0.25308. i really dought any cam is as close as the exhaust lift is but thats whats printed. All bearing journels are 2.0900 to 2.1000. The journel finish is 16 RMS and the lobe surface finish is 12 RMS. The lobe taper is .0002.......