Came to the Dark Side TOO (aka Just got a 6.5L TD)

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't been here for some time. Between time and maybe loosing my PW or forgetting had an account......but I'm back (for better or worse).

Any how, to the reason I am posting.....

I don't know what possessed me to do it. :idiot: Just bought an ex-govt 1994 Chev 2500 6.5L TD (two wheel drive) with the six lug nut axles.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,wa/auction/view?auc=818867

Any how, it has 231,000 miles, original engine. Tranny has been replaced says the auction. Runs and drives. (Haven't even picked it up yet....) What are some things I should do "as soon as I get it home" to make it reliable?

I'll change the engine oil, tranny oil, fuel filter, diff oil, grease the U-joints/suspension (if there are zerks).....

(My 1983 F150 died and is in need of work, so I got the this Chevy....)

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order a pmd relocation kit from Leroydiesel. com. Check to see if the lift pump is operating by opening the t valve on the thermostat housing while the engine is running, if there is no fuel running on the ground or the truck cuts out then you have a problem. Pull the grill off and take the oil coolers off and clean from behind them.

That's a good start.

Shop around on Leroydiesel, he supports 6.5's and owns a few himself. Alot of good quality products in the 6.5 world come from his garage.

Last edited:

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Order a pmd relocation kit from Leroydiesel. com. Check to see if the lift pump is operating by opening the t valve on the thermostat housing while the engine is running, if there is no fuel running on the ground or the truck cuts out then you have a problem. Pull the grill off and take the oil coolers off and clean from behind them.

That's a good start.

Shop around on Leroydiesel, he supports 6.5's and owns a few himself. Alot of good quality products in the 6.5 world come from his garage.

I've heard that the PMD was a big issue. Oh well, I guess I'll find out when I get it home.....it is a 2.5-3hr drive (just under 200 miles....and the speed limit is 60 on those two lane roads ...not a highway...)

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a bigger issue on some trucks, they are very much driveable while it is mounted on the IP. Carry a gallon jug of water if you are worried and IF the truck stalls due to PMD issue then dump some water on it to cool it and keep driving.

These trucks can be bought for cheap and made reliable and even fairly powerful for cheap.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the truck today (12/17). Drove fine for the 3.5 hr/200 mile trip. Maintenance records indicate the odo was replaced w/ used unit....it read 227,*** miles at replacement and now has 231,***. The original listed 137,*** miles, so that means this truck has about 141,*** miles.....

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....some "issues"....

Well, some issue have come up. It stalled on me a few times since getting it home. I was thinking it was the PMD, so I ordered a relocation kit and another PMD (Ebay had a smoking deal, so I took the risk- seller was selling D-Tech overstock, but no warranty, stupid...possibly, but got it at $100 each-they had the make an offer, bought 2).

After reading around, the forums (others- diesel place), it seems like it could be the OPS "special" combination oil sender/lift pump relay switch (aka Oil Pressure Switch). Or the lift pump (electric fuel pump). I did hear some strange squeak starting at 40MPH, but below 40, it's fine- thought it was the axle or u joints, but diff is up to *****, and u joints look good. Stalled once at idle in the drive way, restarted, then died again twice, then the 3rd time it was fine. Died once on the road right about 45 MPH....but started right back up.

If it ends up being the LP or OPS, then then original PMD on the pump would be good. Oh well.

So the immediate projects are:
-PMD relocation to bumper w/ "new" PMD (original will be pump mounted spare)
- new OEM type lift pump (different type will be later- saw the kit on LeroyDiesel's site. I'm sure this OEM one will be going bad someday, so if I have the replacement and prefilter ready for the future. :love:)
-the OPS/LP relay addition/modification (easy enough, just cut, cut, splice splice).

(Do I regret buying a Chevy 6.5TD, no.....not yet.) But my Ford buddies are giving me heck.....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Does it have a two piece driveshaft? If so the squeaking could be the carrier bearing. The only 6.2/6.5 experience I have is with the mechanical pumps so maybe someone else can help with the stalling issue. But from what I've read, it does sound PMD or fuel related. Oh also are the glowplugs good?
And could very well be that oil pressure switch. Just make sure you take the old one in with you. I have never been to any parts store and had them bring me the correct one the first time.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only purchase the oem/ac Delco ops. Consider wiring it through 12v relay to ensure the lp gets 12v at all times.

Check out thetruckstop.us next time you need to dig deeper on a 6.5, Imo they are a more friendly group. Much like the Ford idi group here.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have a two piece driveshaft? If so the squeaking could be the carrier bearing. The only 6.2/6.5 experience I have is with the mechanical pumps so maybe someone else can help with the stalling issue. But from what I've read, it does sound PMD or fuel related. Oh also are the glowplugs good?
And could very well be that oil pressure switch. Just make sure you take the old one in with you. I have never been to any parts store and had them bring me the correct one the first time.

No, single drive line.

Only purchase the oem/ac Delco ops. Consider wiring it through 12v relay to ensure the lp gets 12v at all times.

Check out thetruckstop.us next time you need to dig deeper on a 6.5, Imo they are a more friendly group. Much like the Ford idi group here.

I bought a Borg Warner branded one from O'Reily Auto. That I still have to replace. I thought it was the fuel pump since I heard noise, wasn't it. :( Still stalled on my down the road after 5 miles. (I even loosened the diesel fuel cap in case it was creating vaccum) So, as I said above, the OPS will be replaced as well as adding the OPS relay modification for the LP. I have the parts, just need time. I guess the old pump will be boxed up as a spare.

I'm also waiting for my PMD relocation kit (Dorman brand via Amazon) and my "replacment" PMD's from Ebay. Seller stated it was overstock from D-Tech. I took the risk since it was "unboxed, no warrantee".....but they were asking 144 for the buy it now price. Had a make an offer, so I offered 100 but I would get 2. Waiting for them still....figure most of the parts will get here late next week.

Truck drives fine. If I keep it below 40, it seems to be fine....no hic-cups or stalling. It will restart and run again (stalled one time about 3 times in a row.) Truck always starts in the morning.

I still find it amazing the truck made it back 200 miles & a 3 hour drive w/ NO issues. I get it home and tittle transferred, it acts up! ;Pissed

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next on the list is checking your grounds, electric 6.5's are sensitive to ground problems.

There is a ground off the ecm behind the gloves box, one from pass side of block to the frame, 3-4 from the rear of the pass side head/intake. There are probably a couple I missed but that should get you started. Make sure they are all clean/rust free

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, gonna give an update here-most of my updates get typed on Diesel Place.

Got the PMD relocation kit, "new" PMD. Dorman relocation kit, 2 "new" overstock PMD off of Ebay ($100.00 each), suppose to be a D-Tech and Dorman resistor kit. Used some heat sink past from Radio Shack (forget the pad that comes with them).

It was a dog getting enough slack on the harness to plug the extension in. Watch plenty of vids on the relocation....those folks had lots of slack....not me. Had to cuss and cuss then finagle the connector just so I had enough slack to hook it up! Most of the pics I saw, the harness could be pulled so it was in front of the original PMD. I had to sneak it back behind the PMD and the intake manifold!

You must be registered for see images attach

Once I got that, everything else fell into place. Here is the PMD mounted on the heat sink, bolted behind front bumper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Drove it around for about 3 hours, getting it up to temp, stopping and trying to heat soak anything in the engine bay. Drove about 60-70MPH (weather permitting...started to snow), no stalling/stammering. I'm hoping that I'm past that issue....and the PMD was the cause.

Next mod will be the OPS relay..... but gotta change the oil first.....and check the harmonic balancer.....heard about what they do when they go bad....they can destroy the crank!

Last edited: