C6 valve body swap?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas, my crew cab is driving me nuts.

This fall I had the transmission rebuilt. The man that did it has done multiple c6's for me in the past.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad, wrong button.

Anyway it has not shifted right since I put it back in. 1-2 shift is super soft and 2-3 will rev the engine for a second. I tried different vrv and set them to the ford specs, adjusted the modulator, played with the linkage, all with the same results. My transmission guy says it must be the valve body.

Now I want to sell it and I want it fixed before it leaves. The guy is good, just unreliable and I'm tired of waiting on him.

I have small block c6 and a diesel c6 for parts. Does it matter which one I use? Are there any tricks to doing this?

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've fooled with a couple in the past, try adjusting the modulator tighter, or replace it with another one.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vacuum is good, tried modulator tightened, loosened, and bought one with a thumb wheel to adjust easier.

If I didn't have to change it in this cold I wouldn't be. That's for sure.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the valve body changed. Much simpler than I imagined.

IT'S STILL NOT SHIFTING RIGHT!!!
On a WOT pull out 1-2 is still sloppy and From 2-3 it revs to the sky then slides into second

Is there any C6 gurus out there? I'm at wits end. I need to sell this thing but I won't get a dime for it if it can't shift.

I'm thinking of throwing a junk yard trans in it but I don't have the time or facility to do it right now.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like your control pressure is way too low.

Have you done a control pressure test?

If not, then first thing I would try, is pull vacuum from the VRV and plug. Then test drive, if you're not getting the WOT shift points then you have a problem inside the transmission. (if you get the hard WOT shift points, then you need to adjust/replace your VRV) Next step would be the control pressure test. Here are the specs you are looking for:
You must be registered for see images attach

You know, just a WAG, but go ahead and mesure the modulator rod. Mine reads at 1.704"

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have not tried it lately but i have ran it with the modulator unplugged and it shifts hard. where/ how do i test the line pressures?

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If it shifts hard at high RPM with vacuum unplugged, then there is no need to do the control pressure test. The trans is working correctly. That means you have a problem with your VRV. Put a gauge on the output side, and start the truck. You should be seeing between 15 and 18 hg of vacuum. If you see more, loosen the VRV and back it down to 15hg. Then run the throttle, the vacuum should drop as you rev it up. If it doesn't, the VRV is bad. Even at 15hg, it might still shift a little slow, don't be afraid to back it down until it shifts where you want.

As to the control pressure test, sorry it's a pretty crappy scan, but you hook up a hydrolic pressure gauge to this port (fig 6) and hook a vacuum pump up to the modulator. Pump up to 15hg, shift to all positions, record pressures. Drop vacuum to 10hg, rev to 1000rpm, shift all positions, record pressures. Drop vacuum to 1hg, keep at 1000rpm shift to all positions, record pressures. Needless to say, chalk it, parking brake, and stand on the brake while doing the test.

Attachments

• Control pressure test port.png
    Control pressure test port.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 43

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU! i knew someone here would know something about these dinosaurs. i will run through the vacuum tests again tommorow. i have a spare vrv on the self and i just bought a uhaul that shifts very nice so i might rob some parts off of it.

If i have any more questions i know who to ask!

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out i didnt have the VRV adjusted enough. Couldnt find my vacuum gauge to test it but when i looked at it i noticed the return line off the IP was touching the top of the vrv and that it still had a good bit of the slot left to adjust. So i gave it a yank and straighted out the fuel line bend a bit, turned it more toward the core support and BAM!

IT SHIFTS GREAT. Nice firm positive shifts all the way through on a WOT pull out and gental yet positive shifts just pulling out.

Months of tinkering with this thing all led to this. Now i might actually put some miles on it ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin