C6 to ZF5, stupid clutch linkage hookup problem

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Well, I know there are no stupid questions, but how about a a stupid problem???? :dunno My C6 is dying a painful death so I bought a '92 ZF5 "swap kit" complete with all the goodies, LUK and all.
First: Will the pedal assembly from the '92 work in my '87 F250?
Second: Where the heck do I hook up the pushrod for the clutch master cyl. on the clutch pedal? Maybe I'm simply tired, but it just doesn't seem obvious right now. Please help!!!
Oh....the pushrod has a "heim" style end. Do I have the wrong master? Did the guy sell me the wrong pedal assembly? Am I missing a mount on the pedal arm? I have from next Fri. 'til next Sun. to complete the bulk of the swap and this is the only issue I'm having getting all the preliminary crap done before trading trannies out.
Thanks in advance!

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heim type jont is an aftermarket fix bt if we had pics I'd be able to tell u for sur and I'm pretty sure the pedal assbly will work most year fords are interchangeable parts

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
The heim type jont is an aftermarket fix bt if we had pics I'd be able to tell u for sur and I'm pretty sure the pedal assbly will work most year fords are interchangeable parts

Alrighty. Thanks Truckpull! I'll get some pics up in a minute. I s'pose I could measure pedal throw vs. pushrod throw and fab-a-tab but if I'm simply missing a part I'd rather go that route.

sak778

Reaction score
92 pedal assembly may or may not fit the fire wall of your 87 truck. They might different.
The master cyl hooks up above the gas pedal. the pedal pivots thru the bracket and a plate with a pin bolts on the end and the hole in the rod goes over the pin on the plate.

You will probably want to mount the firewall reinforcing plate while your installing the master cyl. check out post number 31 by me for more links that show what will happen without the brace.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1084665-i-think-the-4speed-tranny-is-done.html

Last edited:

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey if it helps i have an 87 4x4 f250 with a zf5 5 speed i could sell u, its the complete st up im gona junk the truck once i get the turbo off it anyways so ur welcome to it

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Thanks both of ya! BP, I do appreciate the offer, but it's too far to ship and I'm trying to do this on the cheap HAHAHA. You prolly won't believe this, but I got the whole setup for $670 and don't really wanna go over $800 if I can avoid it. I start a new job 50 miles away in 2 weeks and I absolutely have to have this done next weekend hands down, even if it takes me three 12 hour days to do it. Sak, you're previous posts have been MORE than helpful! Looks like I'm gonna head to my buddy's place or u-pull-it and scrounge parts off his '85 F350 if that pedal bracket will fit. If not, which years can I use? Will the '92 master cyl. work with an older style pedal assembly? It's a solid rod on the MC, not the adjustable style. You seem to know yer s**t and I'd appreciate any more input you may have. Thanks again!!!!

sak778

Reaction score
BP6.9 Let me know, I'm close enough to come get it. I can send Ryan the 87 pedal assembly in exchange for his 92 pedals that I would need. I'm waiting on getting my e40d rebuilt in my new to me 92 truck. B-( The 85 pedal and master should fit your 87. there are 2 different pedal assemblys. i'm don't remember when the change occured.
The studs are in a different place for the 92 master. Thats why the have 2 different small brace kits. same years for master cyls to match holes in the cab. Pedals can come from a gas truck of the same year also. No differance there.

Last edited:

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
That would work! My assembly is missing the rod & lever to actuate the pushrod but if you still want it I'd be willing to trade for sure.

BP6.9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i will like i said i said i scored the whole truck for $400 because the motorblew and wanted the turbo and a few other small parts figured id let some other people in on a good deal to before i scrap it

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Sak, what about the pedal assembly from the '85? Will it work with the '92 master cyl or should I snag the cyl. from the '85 just in case? I can pick 'em up for free or next to free just in case we can't get the trade done in time. I'll still swap parts with ya even if I grab the other ones.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Looking at the pics of the '87 on Diesel power, the brackets look identical. Not doubting you, maybe there's a different alignment difference I can't see from the photos.

sak778

Reaction score
Like I said I don't remeber exactly when the change occured. I've spent the last hour searching. I know i have an 86 and a 92 and they won't interchange. They changed the fire walls sometime between there. You may get lucky and be ok. I would definatly have the 85 parts on hand just incase.

sak778

Reaction score
bp6.9 Def let me know when your tired of looking at/stripping that junk. pm me your info when your ready. I'm definatly interested in whatever is left. Both my trucks are wanting zf's 86 is a 2wd 4spd pushing it to run 60- 65. and the 92 4x4 I just bought with a toasted e40d. I wish i could find some cheap parts trucks. I can get solid body parts for you tho.