C6 or E40d in 89

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly Ford started offering the E4OD in 89 as an option and 90 as standard, is this correct? What would your guess be as to what transmission would be in this 89. I just talked to the owner and he didn't know. I didn't ask him if it had the OD button on the dash.

I was at Fun Land Saturday evening (Fun Land is like Chuck E Cheese), my son was at a birthday party and I saw this truck parked next to me. I wanted to talk to the owner and ask if it was for sale, I was thinking of offering him 5k. That's more than I thought I would pay for a 89 but it looked perfect. Sunday morning I was browsing craigslist and saw this truck. I knew it had to be the same truck and sure enough he was at Fun Land Saturday.

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/cto/3334740266.html

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a sharp looking truck for certain...very nice, hard to say which trans without peeking at the least...or asking owner...but damn nice truck...

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to look at it tomorrow. I'll have to sell something if I buy it, too many trucks in the driveway now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm betting its the 4 spped E4OD trans. If it been rebuilt hopefully it was upgraded. If not then its about $2800.00 to rebuild and upgrade the first yeasr E4OD trans.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I'm betting its the 4 spped E4OD trans. If it been rebuilt hopefully it was upgraded. If not then its about $2800.00 to rebuild and upgrade the first yeasr E4OD trans.

To rebuild the evil 89 E4OD plan on spending no less than $3000 clams. 89 is a one year only unit requiring many updates to make it a strong tranny.

From the CL description. I would just drive it. I bet the tranny is fine.:D

va350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew they made changes to the E4OD in 90 but I didn't know there was that much difference as far as rebuild cost, thanks for the info. I bought a 1990 new with an E4OD and had all kinds of problems with it. It was apparently the same tranny as they put in the 89's. After rebuilding it and doing some other work they finally replaced it which took care of the problems. All of this happened in the first year I had the truck and it was all covered under warranty. I never had a problem with the replacement and I put about 170k on it before I had it rebuilt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online