C6 Flexplate Upgrade

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have finally found the source to my engine tick at idle. And although I have not yet taken transmission out to inspect flexplate, Gary thinks that the stamped steel plate that bolts onto cast iron plate is either cracked or bolts have loosened up over time, causing knocking sound at idle. We both agree that it may be better to install the upgraded flexplate and spacer that became available in the 1990+ vehicles since parts for the 3 piece cast iron flexplates are now obsolete. I plan on getting flexplate replaced when I am ready to get transmission rebuilt in the near future.

I have found an ATP Z344 flexplate and would like to confirm that this is the correct one to use. This seems to be the only one that is available :dunno. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys ;Sweet
Product Details
9--bolt holes
15.72--outer diameter
10--pitch
155--teeth

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-z344

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
time for a ZF5?:D
you can get parts for them all day long!
i looked around some for a flex plate also. nada, zip, ziltch.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I have finally found the source to my engine tick at idle. And although I have not yet taken transmission out to inspect flexplate, Gary thinks that the stamped steel plate that bolts onto cast iron plate is either cracked or bolts have loosened up over time, causing knocking sound at idle. We both agree that it may be better to install the upgraded flexplate and spacer that became available in the 1990+ vehicles since parts for the 3 piece cast iron flexplates are now obsolete. I plan on getting flexplate replaced when I am ready to get transmission rebuilt in the near future.

I have found an ATP Z344 flexplate and would like to confirm that this is the correct one to use. This seems to be the only one that is available :dunno. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys ;Sweet
Product Details
9--bolt holes
15.72--outer diameter
10--pitch
155--teeth

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atp-z344

Far as I know the flexplate is a Ford only part. The stamped steel flexplate came out in 93.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
time for a ZF5?:D
you can get parts for them all day long!
i looked around some for a flex plate also. nada, zip, ziltch.

Haha well in all honesty, I am one of the very few members that is a die hard C6 fan. It does not need to be rebuilt, but while it's out, now would be a good time to get it freshened up. I will also get the rear main seal replaced while it is out. It is also about 1/3 the cost to rebuild compared to an E40D and can withstand 500 hp/500 ft lbs torque in it's stock form. But hey, to each their own!
I believe the ATP Z344 is an aftermarket flexplate and after doing some more research, I think it should work.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck came with an e4od factory. It had the stamped steel flex plate, with the spacer. When I got the truck, it was changed out to a c6 by some hack. However, the stamped steel late bolted right up to the c6 torque converter.

So, would this one from my truck work? I think it should.

I actually have 2 flex plates, and one spacer with all the bolts left.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck came with an e4od factory. It had the stamped steel flex plate, with the spacer. When I got the truck, it was changed out to a c6 by some hack. However, the stamped steel late bolted right up to the c6 torque converter.

So, would this one from my truck work? I think it should.

I actually have 2 flex plates, and one spacer with all the bolts left.

Thanks for the offer. I will let you know soon about the spacer. Might have located one already but I will keep you updated. I think I would feel more comfortable starting out with a new flexplate rather than used.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Haha well in all honesty, I am one of the very few members that is a die hard C6 fan. It does not need to be rebuilt, but while it's out, now would be a good time to get it freshened up. I will also get the rear main seal replaced while it is out. It is also about 1/3 the cost to rebuild compared to an E40D and can withstand 500 hp/500 ft lbs torque in it's stock form. But hey, to each their own!
I believe the ATP Z344 is an aftermarket flexplate and after doing some more research, I think it should work.

Your not the only one. I love My C6. :love:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score

19887.3IDI

Reaction score
That's ok nobody knows everything. I've had it apart a few times. From what I remember there is the heavy cast iron flywheel and that plate bolted to the crank shaft and the torque converter bolts to that plate not the cast iron flywheel.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gary was explaining to me that what we have is a 3 piece flexplate. The cast iron flywheel, stamped plate, and ring gear. I haven't seen a pic of the thin plate until you posted it. Sounds like upgrading to the stamped flexplate and spacer is the way to go.

19887.3IDI

Reaction score
It maybe the way to go but I would be worried about taking all that weight off. I'm not sure why the factory did it that way but I've never had a problem with it.

19887.3IDI

Reaction score
Here's a link to a picture of the flywheel: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2657234&cc=1124200&jnid=525&jpid=0

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yea I like my C6 also especially with the GV behind it. I found a place awhile back that sells the flex plates looks like they still have them. Here's the link: http://www.seauto.com/Diesel_Products-FORD_FLEXPLATE_DIESEL_TRUCK_OEM_SEE_ADDTL._DESC..html

This is the piece that the heavy cast iron whell uses. This is what the converter bolts up to. Its an odd idea how it works. When its bolted to the crank nothing from the converter bolts directly to the cast iron wheel. Actually you reach thru the larger holes in the cast iron wheel to get to the converter bolts or nuts. Can't recall what it has. The way all this fastens to the cranks is this. First thing on the crank is the heavy cast iron wheel. Then this thin stamped plate. Then a washer thats about 4 inches diameter used to spread out the torque of the 9 bolts. I really do not know what the engineers idea was behind the heavy wheel but they upgraded it so that kind of tells me something. This is great to find this thin plate is still available. When I needed one nobody could find one. Finally found one up north and it was expensive. It was a Ford part. As for the starter ring gear .. They are replaceable easily. Nappa sells them cheap. Or you can heat it up and clock it around to fresh teeth. Our engines start and stop on one of three places. So the ring gear wears out and the starter will grind badly. So you replace the starter and find out you still have the grinding. You can't just flip the gear over to all new teeth either. The teeth have a bevel cut into the side that the starter engages on. To remove and replace the gear drill a couple of holes thru the teeth. Hit with a hammer and chisel. Then warm up the gear in the oven when your home alone to about 250 degrees but no higher. Just drop it on the flywheel and its done. Simple. The newer modified flexplate has the gear welded to it. Funny too because they do not wear out the teeth on those. Well at least I have never seen a post telling us they did.