Buying American

dieseldoug

Reaction score
I just placed my order for a Banks Sidewinder for my 91, 7.3. I'm getting it directly from Banks who made me a deal no one else could match.

Before retiring I worked as a machinist, steamfitter, maintenance supervisor, project manager and general contractor. During that time I had the pleasure of working with the best craftsmen and women who have ever picked up any set of tools.

I believe deeply in keeping American skilled labor working. There's none better anywhere in the world.

Anyway, my kit is being assembled in California. OK, that's a plus. But, where did the components come from? Obviously, the biggest piece it the turbo. Some of you said Banks uses Mitsubishi. Banks said they use Garrett. I looked at the Garrett site and my Banks looks a lot like Garrett's GT2056.

Next question. If it is a Garrett, where do they do their business? This kind of thing could go on forever. But, I honestly believe it's important to try. We have far too many well trained, educated people who are out of work. Any of you know of places to track down point of manufacture?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That Banks turbo is definitely a Mitsubishi. Don't know why that Banks guy told you is was a Garret. I have the Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo and it was hell getting a factory shaft and hot wheel for it. Problem is Banks can't or wont tell you any turbo part numbers and Mitsubishi wont sell to you unless you tell them what part you want. Thats a horrible way to do business. After all they know what the part numbers are. I got this info from several turbo rebuilders too. I do know they make some of the kit in house but not sure if all of its made in house. I have been familiar with Gail Banks since the early 70's when he was in a small shop. I have been to the now location and its huge and growing all the time. I like their turbo kits more than the other major kit builders. I only wish they had a kit for a intercooler so it was a bolt on idea. I have a new Hypermax intercooler that requires the intake hat to be modified to fit the Banks turbo.

dieseldoug

Reaction score
OK, I'm gonna try this reply one more time.

First, thanks icanfixall for the info.

Not sure why the guy at Banks said he "thought it was Garrett" unless he was simply saying what he thought I wanted to hear. I hate BS when I'm looking for a simple answer.

Anyway, I'm going to call Banks on Monday, and let them know I want name and part number on that turbo.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By now it could be a garrett, lets hope it is as they are easy to get parts for, the mitsu is not.
Garrett is now owned by honeywell.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I consider hypermax kit to be more "buy american" friendly. banks is the mitsubishi turbo. hypermax is garrett.

speaking of honeywell...

"December 2011, the non-partisan organization Public Campaign criticized Honeywell International for spending $18.30 million on lobbying and not paying any taxes during 2008–2010, instead getting $34 million in tax rebates, despite making a profit of $4.9 billion, laying off 968 workers since 2008, and increasing executive pay by 15% to $54.2 million in 2010 for its top 5 executives"

watch out. Garrett might end up being Chinese

I just placed my order for a Banks Sidewinder for my 91, 7.3. I'm getting it directly from Banks who made me a deal no one else could match.

Before retiring I worked as a machinist, steamfitter, maintenance supervisor, project manager and general contractor. During that time I had the pleasure of working with the best craftsmen and women who have ever picked up any set of tools.

I believe deeply in keeping American skilled labor working. There's none better anywhere in the world.

Anyway, my kit is being assembled in California. OK, that's a plus. But, where did the components come from? Obviously, the biggest piece it the turbo. Some of you said Banks uses Mitsubishi. Banks said they use Garrett. I looked at the Garrett site and my Banks looks a lot like Garrett's GT2056.

Next question. If it is a Garrett, where do they do their business? This kind of thing could go on forever. But, I honestly believe it's important to try. We have far too many well trained, educated people who are out of work. Any of you know of places to track down point of manufacture?

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The garrett turbine is easy to rebuild because the two sides are balanced separately. If you need a wheel you just buy one and slap it on.

How about the Mitsu?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online