Buyer beware...

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Exactly one year and one month ago I repowered my '93 with a 6.2 shortblock covered in 6.5 gear. The 6.2 was punched out .020" and fitted with Ebay military surplus pistons... I just tore the motor out tonight since it wouldn't fire on one cylinder and was puffing out blowby something terrible...

Sure enough there was a cracked piston... I suspsect that they are Silvolite junk since there are no markings on them and they look similar to a Silvolite. They appear to start cracking in the wrist pin bores and go up and across the crown. There are some shallow surface cracks that appear to be heat related. They are in the ricardo recess where the casting isn't very finished.

The red outlines are of the main crack and some surface heat cracks. The blue outlines are from a tragic glow plug incident. The yellow is where material would be on a Mahle or stock piston.

I'm going to weigh the junk pistons and compare weight to a stock piston. Holding them side by side the .020" feels lighter than the stock bore piston. Overall these pistons are of poorer quality than the stock Bohn, Zollner, or aftermarket Mahle. The unmachined parts of the casting are very porus. The wrist pin bores are about 2 MM thinner than the above mentioned pistons and seem to be made out of an inferior alloy. I could understand the cracks being a result of the glow plug inhalation, but the worst cracked one has the least amount of GP damage. Luckily the block is ok. Buyer beware of surplus pistons...

Attachments

• close up crack.JPG
    close up crack.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 14
  • close up gp damage.JPG
    close up gp damage.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 11
  • close up gp damage ricardo cup.JPG
    close up gp damage ricardo cup.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
  • close up ricardo cup.JPG
    close up ricardo cup.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 11
  • close up underside.JPG
    close up underside.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 12

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
More pics and update:

The first pic is a side by side view of a Silvolite and an OEM (Bohn or Zollner) side by side. The second is a crown shot of a Sealed Power(?) out of my spare short block. The third is a pic of an 18:1 Zollner side by side with the sealed power. 4th is a Sealed power by the Silvolite. 5th is a pic of the underside of the 18:1 Zollner.

So far the Sealed Power pistons seem to be the beefiest and best built. The Silvolite are the cheapest. There is a definate difference in the alloys used between the Silvolite and the rest. I threw out all of my old Mahle stuff so I don't have any of them to compare to.

I did some measuring of the compression heights, wrist pin bore thickness 2 ways and skirt thickness.

Silvolite ? Zollner ? Stock 6.2 Sealed Power ?
Wrist pin boss front to back 1 1.06 1.07 1.19
Compression height 1.505 1.47 1.505 1.495
skirt thickness 0.21 0.145 0.15 0.21
Wrist pin boss side to side 1.61 1.645 1.635 1.685

The sealed power pistons that I'm going to use from the spare short block are already .010" shorter so I'll only have to take off .020" or so to get my desired compression ration. Should be interesting this time...

Attachments

• oem side by side silvolite.JPG
    oem side by side silvolite.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 6
  • sealed power crown.JPG
    sealed power crown.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 6
  • zollner side by side sealed power.JPG
    zollner side by side sealed power.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 5
  • sp vs silvolite.JPG
    sp vs silvolite.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 6
  • zollner underside.JPG
    zollner underside.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 4

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The Mahle's are good pistons IMO. They are very similar to Zollners. IIRC, they are the OEM supplier to GEP for the new Hummer engines. The only Mahle's I've ever broke were ones that had a collision with a rod... I need to dig through what's left of my piston pile to see if I can find one to measure. I cleaned up a few months ago when alluminum went sky high...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726