Buy a 86 6.9 manual 4x4 that's been sitting for 2+ years?

jdb

Reaction score
I have an option to buy a 1986 6.9 4-speed 4x4 with 250k km (160k miles).

Seller says engine was rebuilt 3500 km ago at a local shop and had clutch replaced at the same time. He has recently flushed the diesel.

Known issues - one of the fuel tanks leaks, one front brake caliper siezed.

Question - what are the issues/risks of buying a truck like this that has been sitting without running for 2+ years?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My one truck sat for 2 years, gave it 2 new batteries, drove it away.
I don't think these things die.

I would ask if you can at least start it before money exchanges hands.

Bring 2 batteries and your preferred method of "starting assist" (an extension cord for heater, some people use various sprays).

Maybe find out of local shop carries any labor or parts warranty on engine?

Caliper may keep you from rolling it around :(

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
No real issues past what you have described. Diesel has a long shelf life and does not gum stuff up like gasoline, so if the IP and injectors are good, it should run if it ever did. Probably better luck if it is NA rather than turbo, the NA engines are really hard to ruin. If the price is low enough you need less information.

A manual trans might have clutch issues, but price determines how much these issues mean to you. Good luck!

chickendrank

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I bought mine for $1000 and it had been sitting a few years, a year later all I had to do was a new injection pump, new rubber return line kit, cdr valve, batteries and fluids, and a new master cylinder and it had under 200k miles

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine has been sitting for 2 years. When we move, I'll throw some fresh batteries, fuel additive, filters/oil, return line kit...and then drive towing all our crap. If it sat for 5+ years that might be another story, but I wouldn't hesitate because of 2 years.