Busted!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to know how to hotrod that benz I will put you in touch with my son or send you to a mb forum.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I pulled out my receipt for the pump, I had written the mileage on it when the pump was installed. I made it a whopping 51 miles before the pump died. For what that thing cost I expect more than 51 miles.
They told me when I picked it up I had a 1 year warrantee as long as there was no water or gasoline. specifically asked if turning the pump up would void the warranty and they said no. So tomorrow morning i'll be walking into their shop with a busted pump looking for a replacement

As for where I'm rattling around, South of Branson,MO just across the line around Harrison. There are a few of us up here. My bro in law is one of us in his '92 F-350. Although all he does is drive it. When we have a family get together it look slike an IDI rally. IDIs lined up in a row, guys sitting around talking about what they did to their trucks since the last get together.

If you bought that pump at a store, chances are they'll just give you another one.

It sounds like you're there in Razorback's neighborhood near Omaha.

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I intend to use the MB as my daily driver for my 140mile daily commute. A little bit of hot rodding wouldn't be out of the question.;Sweet

Omaha is about 8 miles up the road from my house. Odds are i've seen him around.

I didn't buy the pump at a store. I bought it from one of the diesel performance shops in Springfield,MO. (I work up there)When the old pump crapped out I did some calling around before buying one. I could have picked one up from O'Reillys and got a good discount through the shop I work at, but when i was talking to the shops around town about getting it timed after it was instaled I ruled them out as an option. It seems that i couldn't find anybody who would touch it if I installed one from a chain store.:dunno

I'll post back this evening when I get home and let you all know how it went with them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You'll be wasting your time hot rodding the MB. You won't use it much. I know when we had a 300sd for a while that thing was so stinking comfortable we'd constantly find ourselves lollygagging around in the slow lane at around 50 mph. Not that it wouldn't go faster, it'd go plenty faster, it's just the ride was so nice, we couldn't care less if we got there or not :rotflmao

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love the 300D from the early 80s. Easily one of the best cars ever made. Not sure where the "fuel screw" is on them, but I would be looking for some ARP head studs the instant I bought one if I ever have the time for a car. I know of guys that have a lot of fun with those cars because like our trucks, they are all mechanical and everything can be adjusted (including the wastegate).

I'd get into so much trouble if I had the time........

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will actually be my 2nd MB. 1st was an '85 300CD. Shoulda kept it, but at the time I was between shops and needed the money more than i needed the car.

As for Smaug, Took the IP back this morning, I could tell they were hesitant to warranty the IP. But when I mentioned the nuts left loose from the timing they made it right as far as the ip is concerned. Timing it may be another issue. All of a sudden they are super busy and don't have time. Mark my words, they WILL time it before I leave for Texas. (Thursday to be specific).

But I installed the new IP this evening. Took just over an hour. Blead the lines, then fired it up. SWEET!!!!!!!!

But i burned a hole in my oil feed line when I hit the glow plugs.-cuss

I just kinda had it pushed out of the way (air box was off) and it shorted against the bare plug. The spot where the stainless braiding touched the turbo burned a hole in the rubber.

gonna pull it off tonight and see if i can't get one made tomorrow morning. If not I'll have to overnight one from Banks.

So theres the scoop so far. Smaug is alive after all.

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm back!

They timed the pump at no cost. Driving home from work Friday night the bolts holding the Vac pump bracket broke off. CRAP!

So Friday night we drill out the broken bolts, rethread the holes, and bolt the pump back on. Get my aux tank mounted in the bed and tied into the front tank and start pumping everything full of WMO.(60/40 mix)

Throw some essentials into the toolbox and double check all the fluids.

At 1:30 Am grab some sleep.
3Am, time to wake up and get ready. Pull out at 4Am for what is supposed to be roughly a 1000 round trip.
I'll say this, for an old truck that I have been throwing part after part at for the past 3 weeks....I'm impressed! (Installed 2 IPs,Valley pan,glow plugs,belts,vac pump bolts)

Only problems we had on the trip was starter wires gave up the ghost. (So we used an Estwing framing hammer for a key the remainder of the trip):thumbsup: Somewhere around Atoka,OK I got the feeling the fuel filter was starting the clog a bit. At Ft. Smith,AR I figured out my hunch was right.(When the truck died pulling out of the truckstop). Grab the filter wrench and the new filter, change it out and get back on the road.

The truck pulled that MB home without so much as a hiccup! Only indication there was a load on her was pulling away from stop lights she would smoke. Once the turbo started building pressure it would clear up though. That truck ran straight through for nearly 24 hours, only shutting off for brief moments like loading,Picking up the u-haul trailer(nothing brief there...took nearly 1.5 hours),and eating. I'm impressed.

My naysayer bro in law (anti WMO) was with me the whole trip. He even took the wheel a few times. Couldn't believe it actually ran as well (or better) on WMO as diesel.;Sweet

Attachments

• DSC00542.JPG
    DSC00542.JPG
    489.1 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.