Bumped the timing

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i threw this pump in i just lined up the marks and called it good, was in a bit of a time crunch. Anyhow, bumped it up a bit and picked up the throttle response nicely, and pulls much much better at 2500+ If i bring the rpms up to about 1500 and stab it i hear a little more rattle than before but nothing sounds bad, cant tell anything at idle, and no knocks lugging it. Exhaust sounds alot crisper too. Smokes alot less at WOT as well.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please tell us what "new pump" you installed. Posting the message that its a new pump can mean lots of differant things like. I found a good looking pump on a wrecker truck and put it on my truck... Or I bought a new rebuilt pump...... That one makes me laugh sometimes... A new rebuilt pump... Kinda like jumbo shrimp... I really have only seen one listing for an actual new stanadyne db2 pump on ebay once. But if you could explain more about what was installed we could understand more. The timing by ear is about what most here are doing. Mel offers a timing clinic every rally. It really should be done with a known good quality meter. I did one at Towcats a year or so ago. I worked from around 1pm to 11pm timing many a trucks that day... Talk about sleeping well at the no tell motel that nite.... Wow... My hats off to Mell for his work. I may just be doing this again at the next bbq in towcats garage.....:angel::sly

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha my apologies. This one falls under "i was at the JY and hey that one looks better than mine". I knew my old one wasnt far off and this one had a shop sticker on it and was pretty clean, showed the tell tell marks of being rebuilt, paint / thread locker on screws. Have the injectors out of the same truck, looked immensely better than my old ones. Hey for $46 total, figured it was worth the risk.

I know its still not advanced as my old one and runs twice as good, by that im not implying that more advance always makes it run better. Dont even hear it rattle with the cold advance on, and its not quite as loud as my dads so im pretty sure im on the safe side till i get a chance to actually have it timed (not likely to happen). It will tide me over till the 6.9 is done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle