Bump Starting a 6.9

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
The way I've always bump started big diesels is to put a long chain on and drag them in gear ( don't bother actually trying to bump start , just stick it in gear, 2nd or 3rd and let the clutch out and drag the beast ) and drag it till it stays running. Make sure you have a nice big lot or field to do it in. With no glow plugs it's going to have to build up some heat before it's going to run.

-------Robert

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Mr_Roboto I actually had one explode in my driveway. A "lady friend" was leaving, and when she went to go start her car the battery exploded. It blew the top right off of the battery. I assume that it had a bad connection inside and ignited internal gasses.
I had a couple Delco 1200 sealed batteries off my semi rigged up on a '69 Chev gasser work truck once. They were probably 3-4 yr old by then. After lunch on a hot day I hit starter & one blew. Scattered battery pieces & put 2 big dents in hood from underside. They were sealed but had small vents & only thing I could figure was acid level got low & let air in....& then a plate shorted when I hit starter.....don't know.
oldmisterbillThe second time was when we were starting a truck with a fresh engine it was syill on the charger and was not being disconnect or connected ( I don't know for sure where the ignition source came from)but to me it proved thaqt the ignition source was very small.
Just a thought, but there have been times I've been jumping or had charger hooked up & when the starter was hit or a load was "hit"the jumper clamp would loose connection & there would be a small spark. Clamp would have a semi good connection till the load was added. Just a thought.

And I guess live on the edge & been lucky & not "battery hurt" because I've had several blow up thru the years.
Jumpstart a semi 40 or so miles outa Glendive, Mt & about 30deg below when my fuel crossover line froze up....1/2 day downtime turned into 3 plus days down & big $$$$
Blew 2 up at once charging them in my shop with the lids off & batteries hooked parallel to save time. Dummy me, I knew not to throw grinding sparks in their direction.....oh well live & learn!
And cute little stranded blonds get very PO'ed when you blow their battery up trying to jumpstart in the dark by feel & no flashlight....think they got hooked backwards. Either way, that sweet little cutie came up with more dirty words & nasty names to call me than I even knew!!!
I finally just drove off.....she may still be there too. About the top of the hill right west of VanHorn, Tx......she's probably gone by now. They've finished Interstate thru there since then.....:rotflmao :rotflmao

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Really, the happiest time period in my life was while I was navigating those critters all around the world. Too bad I got too old.

akoldnav

Mine too. While you were "navigatin", I was sleepin in the bunk above your head.LOL Or chuckin stuff out the back with the Load'.

Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online