bull dog 4spd swap

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering how easy it would be to swap 4spd into my c6 auto truck, guy is selling 4spd with transfer case clutch pressure plate throw out bearing for 400 obo and how difficult?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering how easy it would be to swap 4spd into my c6 auto truck, guy is selling 4spd with transfer case clutch pressure plate throw out bearing for 400 obo and how difficult?
Other than transmission and the clutch setup, you will need a 4-spd flywheel and its bolts to the crank. Also obviously the clutch hydraulics (master and slave cylinders and the line between them), as well as pedal assembly from a manual trans truck. You will also need your driveshafts modified or replaced with stickshift-specific ones. Inside the cab you'll be replacing the transmission tunnel cover for one off a stickshift truck. Transfer case shifter lever and linkage may or may not need modifications or replacement, that really depends on the specific parts being used. As far as electrics go, you will have to either modify your C6 harness slightly, or get one for a stickshift truck with same transfer case as what you plan on using - auto and stick harnesses interchange on '87-'91 trucks, not sure about the earlier models.

Really if you can tell us what model year truck you have, and what model year truck the 4-spd parts are coming from, and what the transfer cases are (current and new one), that would be great - general info only gets you so far. But overall it's essentially a bolt-on swap, nothing really scary or prohibitively complicated about it.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
The 4 speed behind the 400 may or may not be a T-18 instead of the T-19(B). And this may or may not matter but just keep that in mind. Someone else will know better then I do.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he meant the seller is asking $400 for trans and x-fer case... T18 or 19 won't matter as long as bellhousing is correct for a diesel. Well, gear ratios will be different, and one is fully synchronized while the other one isn't, but in the end either of them will work.

fordsrawesome

Reaction score
OK thanks guys ya I can get everything I think cause the guy is parting it out I just need to make a list its a 87 with the 6.9 and mine is 1983 with 6.9 auto can't remember transfer case not sure what one is in his as I haven't been there yet but this all sounds straight forward if I can get the parts.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks guys ya I can get everything I think cause the guy is parting it out I just need to make a list its a 87 with the 6.9 and mine is 1983 with 6.9 auto can't remember transfer case not sure what one is in his as I haven't been there yet but this all sounds straight forward if I can get the parts.

'87 is the last model year cab that has the transfer case shifter come out the tunnel cover plate, '88 and up have it come out the side of the tunnel thru its own cutout in the cab sheetmetal. Thus if the donor truck was an '88 or newer you'd be in for some fun there, but since it's an '87 you're good to go. So definitely get the tunnel cover plate if you can, it will be a bolt-on in your truck and provide you with the proper openings for both shifters.

Also get the transmission mount and crossmember, as IIRC those are different between stick and auto - stickshift mount should be really low and wide (basically what looks like two cab mounts bolted to a long bar bolted to the trans) while auto mount is usually narrow and tall, in a pinch you should be able to use your auto mount and crossmember on the stickshift trans but it's just better to have the correct factory parts from the get-go.

Now for the bad news, '87 pedals are different from what your '83 will have, so don't get those from him. Instead look for any '80-'86 pedals that use a hydraulic clutch setup, it doesn't matter gas or diesel truck just as long as they run a hydraulic system and not a mechanical linkage (diesels never got the mechanical linkage, but some gassers had it, so I'm only mentioning it in case you run into a gasser stickshift truck sooner than you come across a diesel to rob parts off).

So, to sum up, here's your list of parts needed:
- transmission and transfer case (t-case being optional, as you can reuse your current one) and matching shifters for them
- diesel-specific bellhousing and flywheel and bolts to crankshaft
- clutch and pressure plate and throwout bearing (get a new bearing, it's cheap enough)
- clutch master and slave cylinders and hydraulic line between them (you should probably buy those new and in all-metal, factory ones are plastic FYI)
- pedal assembly from any '80-'86 truck with hydraulic clutch
- transmission tunnel cover from any '87 or older stickshift 4x4 truck
- transmission mount and crossmember from any 4-spd 4x4 truck
- wiring harness from an '86 or older stickshift 4x4 truck, or modify yours
- neutral safety switch, it's on the pedal assembly so you can get it together with the pedals, or you can just run without one realizing truck can and will start in gear with the clutch let off.
- driveshafts, if the donor truck is the same wheelbase as yours (like, for instance, both trucks are extended cab) and you can get them cheap enough. Shortening driveshafts is usually not too expensive, it's when they have to make them longer that you pay a lot. IIRC the 4-spd is shorter than the C6 so front shaft will need shortening while rear will need retubing for more length, so front shaft work will be cheap but rear will cost quite a bit.

Pretty sure that's it, I may be missing something of course, but I think I got the major things covered. Best bet would be to grab the trans, t-case, flywheel and clutch, shifters, tunnel cover, trans mount and crossmember, and driveshafts if they will work on your truck, all in one package deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US