Building cutom up pipes, material selection?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got osme header flanges cut from R&D, going with 2" up pipes and manifold collectors, and whatever size the exhaust ports are. Wondering what wall thickness i should go with to have a nice, durable exhaust? Just regular steel, dont have a tig to do stainless (yet).

thanks!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell me if this is a bad idea.
Once the pipes are made, i want to pour a gallon of hi heat BBQ paint into a baking pan, and put the pipes in it, submerge them so the inside and outside is totally coated in this paint to prevent rust.

Says good to 1200-1300F, worst case is it starts burning off, shouldn't hurt the turbo?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that it would hurt the turbo but I'd guess its a waste of time. I would have them ceramic coated or possibly have them nickel plated. I think nickel will take the heat and you don't have to make it shiney just for corrosion resistance. My buddy found a place here local that I will probably take my manifolds to and have done. I think he said they were going to charge him about $100 for a couple similar sized parts for his car.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ceramic and nickle plating is moneys. Rele dont feel like spending another 250 bucks which is the quote im getting from a couple places.
but back to the question, what size wall thickness should I go with for the manifold and up pipes?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, ill probably go with the 14 gauge to get some extra corrosion resistance and heat retention

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the paint comes off it will damage the turbo fan. The speed at which its spinning is as great as 120,000 rpm. Thats 2000 revolutions of the shaft per second. What can we do 2000 times per second... Surely we can't change our minds like our wives can...:eek::D

gwh98926

Beer Geek
Reaction score
what are you going to use for your bends ? Do you have a mandrel bender to keep the tube size consistent? might be overkill but if/when I go that direction on my next build, sch 40 black iron is easily available and fairly cheap, will prolly out last the rest of the system also

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 on this. Mcmaster sells 90s and 45s and whatever you need fairly reasonable. Overkill yes but hey.....

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice ill check that piping from mcmaster,
going to use pre bent where i can, otherwise im doing the cut and weld accordian style section, like in fabbed race headers.

from lookin at Pstroke uppipes, seems i should run a flex joint back there to prevent some crackign during thermal expansion?

also i gotta rant, the super duty section on FTE is useless! i dont think anybody there actually works on their trucks. Its all discussion of cab lights, trim level, what should I order with my new truck, and interior trim options.
Can never get a technical question answered there.
Old trucks and OB ftw!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online