Building an IDI for Nitrous

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm definitely getting some flak for this but you see I have this factory turbo engine that I sold the wasted turbo off of and I'm kinda just been rebuillding it when I have time and I'm currently reassembling the bottom end and I want to get some input on shaving my piston rings for running nitrous.

Do ya'll think it would be necessary? I will be putting a moose junior on the engine when I'm done so I won't be flowing a ludicrous amount of fuel but maybe I should shave them just to be safe? If so how much?

I apologize ahead of time for doing this to a factory turbo engine :hail

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitrous in a diesel is not like a gas engine, it is an oxidizer only, it just adds more air, you aren't going to get the massive, hard hitting power gain you get on a gas engine with a wet system that adds fuel as well. No need to worry about ring end gaps.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nitrous in a diesel is not like a gas engine, it is an oxidizer only, it just adds more air, you aren't going to get the massive, hard hitting power gain you get on a gas engine with a wet system that adds fuel as well. No need to worry about ring end gaps.

Interesting ;Sweet the truck in my sig has 220,000 miles and great compression but I've always been worried about my rings in the back of my mind with this engine but I guess thats not something to be worried about?

Another question would be if head studs would be a worthy investment even if I don't plan on this engine ever seeing boost? I'm sure I can find somewhere else to spend that money on the build LOL

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That truck/engine can out run the fastest cattle in Texas without Nitrous. :rotflmao

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That truck/engine can out run the fastest cattle in Texas without Nitrous. :rotflmao

Thats my main competition out here, the Angus are definitely the top competitorLOL

...Although my truck will outrun my dad's 460 any day of the week and he has the same driveline as me (zf5 2wd srw extended cab lwb) and he has a quarter of the miles on his truck! (And a banks power pack)

Its really interesting to mess with nitrous because IMO atleast, its the most effective way to deliver more air to our engines, sure people have put big boost through IDIs but at what cost? They have to lower compression just to get another 5 psi and then they have starting problems ect... With nitrous your'e not forcing a larger volume of air into the engine, so the engine runs as it was engineered, and from what I can tell it really likes nitrous. Just my thoughts, I know a lot of guys are die hard turbo fans but I just enjoy doing something different and sharing my experiences to help everyone out ;Sweet

What about propane injection?

Been there. Done that. Didn't really like it and how it affects timing (I actually have a propane injection kit I built a year ago if anyone wants it at the Texas Meet)

With how far performance IPs have come in the last three years, theres just much better ways of adding fuel to your engine than flammable gasses, just my .02

Once I finally get paid on this job I'm doing on the side, I'll have some more money and I will refill my nitrous bottle and change a few things to the kit and then I will probably get some 12v friends to go to the track with me and I'll see how I do, I've got a friend with a go pro that may be there. hmmmm....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water/**** lets you run more fuel without melting down the engine. All the diesel tractor pullers use it. If you watch them close, a lot of them will turn it on manually and kill it at the end of the run so they don't hydrolock the engine.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do water/**** before propane or nitrous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

what IDIoit said. its used to keep things cool, the transformation from a liquid to gas takes energy out of the combustion process, adiabatic expansion and therefore cooling. Will keep temps down on an NA but not much else.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what IDIoit said. its used to keep things cool, the transformation from a liquid to gas takes energy out of the combustion process, adiabatic expansion and therefore cooling. Will keep temps down on an NA but not much else.

Close. I think its actually the phase change that takes the energy out of the system (liquid to gas). ;Sweet

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's water. **** burns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Water **** would be good in a single stage to just come on at WOT with additional stages of nitrous that can be added on top off that, I like water **** for dd uses and nitrous for dynos and races. Right now I just want to get my nitrous setup fine tuned and working perfect. As is I barely have enough fuel to support that since I'm still on the factory IP and it won't even get past 1,100* with a load going up a 10% grade, so because of that I'm really under jetted for what my solenoids will flow. Once I save up I'm gonna run moose misters and a moose junior ;Sweet

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best setup would be turbo with nitrous to clean up any hard accel smoke.

newer cams and crap make it so you dont necessarily have to shave pistons from what ive read. plus studs on the heads get you pretty high

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online