Build-Up

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I wonder if a 7.3 stud kit is or will be available from ARP. Their kits are very competitively priced and probably very good quality..

IIRC,Scott Beretz put ARP studs in a 6.9 a while back. I got an email from him not too long ago. Maybe try to PM him & ask where his came from.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Hey TBIrd, another thing to look into on the build up is Balancing. It isn't that expensive to do:dunno as long as you can find a machine shop that has enough witghts to do it. I got quoted $200 to $300

According to my buddy Rick from Performance Gas and Diesel here in GR. Who has been with this Diesel shop for over 20 years, it really makes a difference. He has done it on a number of IDI rebuildes, including his shop truck.

Just a suggestion.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt think of that, that is a good idea, its one of those things that adds power all over no matter the mods or the situations and is only magnafied with the more mods the truck has

did his balancing him allow more rpm's out of his idi motor?

scott, someone has used arp studs before?

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i used ARP studs on my 6.9. i got them from Summit Racing. i don't know about 7.3 studs though

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and im shooting for strength rather then price in this situation, if the DPS head studs are as strong or stronger then the ARP's then ill go with them, if you guys think the ARP's would be stronger, then ill search out a set for the idi's and get those...this motor has to be rock solid

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
scott, someone has used arp studs before?

Here's some discussion about ARP & DPS studs I found. This was posted by Icanfixall. The thread is called Studs & Gaskets from a while ago. And yes there seems to be a number of people who've used ARP Studs:

Ken's stud kit is the strongest... Period. The ARP 6.9 studs are 190,000 psi and Ken's are plainly better if we are talking 6.9 only. ARP can make a set for the 7.3 but.... It will set you back about $1200.00 and be around 4 to 6 weeks wait because they need to shut down the line and start your one off set.... And it will only be 190,000 psi. Now lets look at it. For the 7.3 we will be paying more (about twice as much) and getting less. I guess its the American way these days. Ken has the market and the wherewithall to get things. I trust that but still ask plenty-o-questions. On the 7.3 to 6.9 head gaskets I think there are some coolant passages that wont line up but you could try and post your findings.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ken it is then, woho, thanks scott

now, back to the bottom end and the head gasket choice, whats a good strong gasket set to get for the head gasket?

and that ceramic coating on the pistons ken offers, is that an exclusivty to him, or can a coatings shop or machine shop do that locally for me?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ceramic coating I believe can be done by a lot of folks. I wouldn't want to badmouth Ken, he seems honest and is reasonably priced, the problem is getting customer support...it can take weeks, which isn't so bad if its a race truck, but its really not very cool if the truck is a DD or work vehicle.

fireman438

Reaction score
head studs on a 6.9

I see talk of head studs in a 6.9. Does this allow higher boost pressures than the 10 psi max recommended for these engines? And especially if you toss an intercooler into the equation, you have the potential to build some serious boost!!

Rich

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZTSpridgen

Members online