Build finally finished but issues???

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got my truck going after several years of work and problems. The truck is a 1994 ford f350 7.3idi. I am having problems building boost. The truck will jump to 8psi and stop. I adjusted the waste gate up very tight with no change so now I'm looking at a few things. I am going to look for exhaust leaks and at first I had one that was preventing any boost at all. Secondly can timing effect the boost? At idle it sounds ok but a blip of the throttle and it sounds more like a gas engine. I'm wondering if advancing it will help. Any ideas? I'm not rolling coal and I think my egt's are a little on the warm side.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Boost is effected by heat in the exhaust. Hest is what mainly turns the hot side of the turbo which directly turns the cold side to build boost. Any boost or exhaust leak will limit your boost. Look closely at the exhaust flanges. any soot buildup is an exhaust leak. Look at the intake side for any wet places. Thats a boost leak because the cdr oil vapor is mixed in the air charge and shows up better than a plain air leak. It sounds to me like you have a leak that limits your boost because the seal can hold the 8 lbs pressure then it leaks.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just driving along and the wait to start light started flashing out of the blue. Then it just stayed on. Any clue as to what could cause this?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GP controler is dieing and frying the **** out of your plugs, unplug it and run a switch. This happened to my truck - I fired it up, backed up to my trailer and when I got in the WTS light was lit up and wouldn't go off. The next time I tried starting - nothing. All GP's were dead - luckily they all came out.

Joejohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GP controler is dieing and frying the **** out of your plugs, unplug it and run a switch. This happened to my truck - I fired it up, backed up to my trailer and when I got in the WTS light was lit up and wouldn't go off. The next time I tried starting - nothing. All GP's were dead - luckily they all came out.

Any info on how to rig up a switch to eliminate the controller?