buddies 7.3 idi won't start

AllJackedUp

Reaction score
Hey guys my buddy has a 92 idi and drove it too work, shut it off and it wouldn't start. We trailered it back to my place for now. I have verified the FSS is working. the lift pump is also pumping fuel. however it cranks and cranks and wont start. i loosened the injecter lines and cranked it and only 1 injecter line had fuel spray out. #4 i think (second one back on drivers side) I am thinking its the IP that crapped out. Also when i took the top cover off the IP i found a couple pieces off metal in there. they are like a really thin washer or something. Also the tach doesn't move when it cranks, could a bad tach sensor cause it to not start? I am really leaning to the IP but wanted to get a second opinion. :dunno
Thanks,
Ryan

gatorman21218

Reaction score
the tach has nothing to do with engine starting or operation. My guess is it is the lift pump has gone bad. Are you getting fuel pressure at the schrader valve when cranking? Also be really careful about how you put that cover back on. If you dont do it right it can run-away upon start-up. make sure you have some towels or some plywood ready when you start it up to block off the intake if it does run away.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
X2 on the above.... Any "broken parts" in the pump will tell you things are gone bad.... How many miles are on the pump and injectors... They don't really function at peak performance much after around 150,000 miles..

AllJackedUp

Reaction score
Yeah, the injectors are new BB delpi's and the pump has probley never been changed. It has 160K on the odom. I was checking the number on the side of the pump and it has me stumped because oregon fuel injection dosn't list this number DB2831 4703

could this IP be off something else or am i just retarded? also on the injector thats the second one back on the drivers side, the injector line dosn't attach on to the injector instead there is another piece between the injector and the line, is this correct? I was gonna get a pic of it but the camera was being stupid.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had the same problem. The truck would not start and that was even with the block heater plugged in for 8 hours. Their was fuel coming from the schrader valve when cranking so I knew the lift pump was good. The only thing that got it going was a shot of ether while someone else as cranking and holding their foot on the go pedal.

This of course was done well after the glow plug light was off and by watching the volt meter I knew the glow plugs were no longer on as the voltage increased after they timed out. It fired right up with the ether. If you have to use ether do so only as a last resort and wait about a minute or so after the glow plug light goes off.

AllJackedUp

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice every one. I am a powerstroke owner myself and know my way around them pretty good but this the first time ever wrenching on an IDI. As soon as i get a day off i am gonna call oregon fuel injection back and ask them about the pump number. Ya, must be a timing adapter then, this one looks like junk though, someone has used JB weld on it. are all the trucks supposed to have them, or are they a van thing? maybe the pump is out of a van?