Bucking / surging when starting from a dead stop.....clutch?

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's disappointing. I converted to a SMF 12" in July of 2011, and this winter when towing I've noticed it bucks in most gears until at speed. I thought it was a motor mount(Had a bad Pass side) But I just changed it today with no luck. Definitely feels like drive train bounce to me. ( I can hear the gear chatter on and off in the trans) Guess my "New" clutch is toast.

I would figure on it actually being the springs in the clutch disc versus the pressure plate. I've had a truck with a rear main leak, and it didn't behave at all like this. mostly just took forever to re-engage the gears, and the rpms stayed up there for a bit until it burnt off the oil and locked up.

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled my clutch today. The Brute power/Perfection clutch I used wore out the hub that connects the splines to the spring plate. So the spline sleeve was rocking back and forth all the time. Swapped it for a LUK disc for a 460, seems to work fine.

Reaction score
I'm kicking around the idea of having the LUK/SouthBend SMF conversion clutch installed. Anybody know what a reasonable estimate on labor is for this, hours-wise?

Mike

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I believe the last time I talked to my shop about doing the job they said around $600 in labor at ~$95/Hr. It took me about 8 hours taking my time. Yours should be less due to the 2wd part.

Desertrig

Reaction score
My red truck bucked mostly on start up, intermittently, over maybe 6000 or 7000 miles over a year. The sensation almost reminds me of learning to drive a standard. It hasn't done it in a year or two over the same amount of miles. On the other hand if the clutch were to leave me stranded, I wouldn't be blaming the truck.... The second gear synchro doesn't seem to be getting better though.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online

No members online now.