BUCK DIESELS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have seen this engine and boy if they were on this coast I would pay them to work there. Thats an impressive design holding everything together with 4 bolts. I'm thinking they may have some stretch going on though... Maybe not..:dunno

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's my first thought. And, how much boost could it take before you start lifting the head. I actually e-mailed him on that question. Those four (4) bolts must be monster grade 8 (plus), and then some. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I know on all other diesels, even Cummins, and the Duramax, they have to go to 12mm bolts when they get past 50lb of boost. I think on ours (international) you have to run 12mm bolts (on the turbo engines, with low compression) when you get past 45lb of boost.

Marq

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No, our motors have 1/2 inch bolts or studs in them. That would be 12.7 mm bolts or studs.... So says my digital micrometer sitting here on my desk. I'm never far from my tools.... Now if we could machine the heads and block for 5/8 bolts or studs then we would have some clamping power. About the best we can hope for is machining the 6.9 heads and block out to 9/16 bolts or studs. Doing this to the 7.3 we wouldn't have a full thread cut into the block because of the bore from the 1/2 threads. Not a good place to be either...

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. Is that what it is. I just know they (Cummins, Duramax) use the larger one when they go up in boost. If I ever rebuild mine, I would like to use lower compression pistions, so I can boost the crap out of it; and, use what ever size head bolts/studs I could get away with. I just wonder, how much you could drill and tape the original holes out to?? I am not sure how far you could go, if any before you got into oil and water issues.

Marq

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
They are near me time for a road trip!!!

OH YEA!

I truly like the singular design and interchangeability of major parts!

he seems to be using alot of alloy as opposed to cast iron as well, thereby increasing power to weight....even into the 600 hp range :hail
Interesting long stroke/low rpm design...not to mention the serviceability.....common to large bore Alco and EMD designs where a single cyl pack can be serviced without dropping the base pan.

Also impressed by the "no flat gasket" design too!

He apparently has done his homework....judging by the type and amount of milling equip and cleanliness of his shop.

Damn....wish I was still bending wrenches on marine engines, as it appears Buck is on a good track to power vessels up to 40 odd feet....great for the coastal sport fishing and boat builders on the Carolina coast :thumbsup:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
impressive, i like the 3-D models:D we design nuch smaller stuff here though. so do the round head seals really work better? could they be retrofitted? i have heard of ringing a block to seal better but i always thought that was along with a flat gasket.

i also really like the indevidaul cylinders, so can i fit one in my old bronco.:D

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
OH YEA!

I truly like the singular design and interchangeability of major parts!

he seems to be using alot of alloy as opposed to cast iron as well, thereby increasing power to weight....even into the 600 hp range :hail
Interesting long stroke/low rpm design...not to mention the serviceability.....common to large bore Alco and EMD designs where a single cyl pack can be serviced without dropping the base pan.

Also impressed by the "no flat gasket" design too!

He apparently has done his homework....judging by the type and amount of milling equip and cleanliness of his shop.

Damn....wish I was still bending wrenches on marine engines, as it appears Buck is on a good track to power vessels up to 40 odd feet....great for thecoastal sport fishing and boat builders on the Carolina coast :thumbsup:

Give them a call they might just have a spot for someone with your experience!

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding. But, as soon as he gets the costs down, I can see how he might sell a lot of 'me. With the ability to rebuild a cylinder, including pulling the pistion and rod without pulling the pan is just stunning. It would almost pay for itself in repairs and rebuild during it's life though. I wonder what the service life is between build??

Marq

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online